cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Get all dates in an interval (start and end)

Hi

I need help to figure out how i can collect dates in a effective way.

I ask my user to enter from what start date to end date when the user are on vacation (for example).

I use flow to send out a reminder to other users when start date matches todays date. But now to my problem. If a user enters a start date and an end date that in total contains 10 days. I want to send out a reminder every day during that time, so one reminder each day during the 10 days. Not as i have it now, only a reminder on the start date and nothing on day 2-10.

How can i get each date between these dates so a flow triggers each day?

Im thinking that i can force the user to create a report only for one day at a time, but that is not very nice to ask of them.

I am thinking that i want to calculate the amount of days between start and end date. Then tell my flow to post the info 10 times (one time per day).

Or can i make an calculation and extract each date and store them in a list and let the flow trigger on those?

But i dont know how.
Or is there other ways to create this.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@Oskarkuus
My example will retrieve items from a list where the start date is today or in the past and the end date is today or in the future. I believe that is what you have asked for. You can set your variable and take action inside if the loop.
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Super User III
Super User III

@Oskarkuus 

The answer depends on where you are storing your data.  Is it in SharePoint?

You'll want to start with a recurrence trigger that runs once a day.  The next step depends on where you store your data.

Scott

Well i store my data wherever it needs to be stored tbh.

Currently i collect the dates with an Microsoft forms. but it is easy to transfeer the collected data from forms to a sharepoint list.

I have now a flow that start with an recurrence trigger, runs every day. It posts a message in a team conversation. It pulls the start dates and if the startdate is todays date, then it posts that date in the message in teams.

But i can not get it to also post if the end date have not occured.... So i need an formula to post untill the end date?

@Oskarkuus :

You'll need to store the data somewhere other than in Forms in order to meet your requirement.  Let me know where you end up saving the data and I'll try to assist.  SharePoint would likely be one of your best choices.

Scott

I have now fixed so all data is stored in a sharepoint list.
One column is called StartD and another is EndD (start date and end date)

@Oskarkuus 

Stay tuned - I will provide an example in a few hours....

Scott

@Oskarkuus :

Below is a screen shot of a Flow that I believe will meet your requirements.

I used an OData filter so that you only retrieve the items that are in your date range.

Please note the single quotes around the expressions.

The second expression is documented in the comments for the Get Items action.

Please let me know if this works for you.

DateRange.jpg

Scott

I think i explained poorly. This is not what i am looking for.

I have a list in sharepoint.

Column 1 = name

Column 2 = startD

Column 3 = endD

This is my flow; screenshots:

http://prntscr.com/nbgaol

http://prntscr.com/nbgd7n

http://prntscr.com/nbgdd8

http://prntscr.com/nbgbh5

Ignore that the names dont mach, pictures where taken during my testing so i changed things around.

http://prntscr.com/nbgbzg

My stringvariable is empty. Nothing except the static text is posted in my team.

I want my string variable to contain the startdate and enddate and title IF the enddate have not yet occured.

All i can get is a post when todays date checks to either startdate or end date, but if the intervall is 5 days between start and end, there are no info posted (variable) during day 2-5.

@Oskarkuus
My example will retrieve items from a list where the start date is today or in the past and the end date is today or in the future. I believe that is what you have asked for. You can set your variable and take action inside if the loop.

Scott

View solution in original post

ok thanks i think im getting closer.

I belive i get the result im after now... need to test a bit.

However, how can i change the way the date looks like.

Now it looks like this. Can i remove the time numbers?

2019-04-10T18:00:00Z till 2019-04-17T19:00:00Z

@ScottShearer, thanks for this detailed writeup--I was having the same issue and am a complete noob at this (and am not granted a great deal of time to improve my skills). I'm making most of my progress by finding and copying other's solutions. There's a lot of subtleties to setting these up; using the filter query as an example, I'm still unclear when you enter some info in the Query field and when you add some via the Dynamic Content/Expression Box. And I was stalled for so long simply because I'd had the addDays output configured incorrectly (wrong date format, and mm instead of MM). Painstaking comparing my setup to your example is what cut the Gordian Knot.

If you have the time to toss a weary Museum educator another bone, I've finally gotten the "Get Items" output I was looking for, but would like to sort by date as well. Any easy solutions? I wouldn't even know at what point in the flow it is better to do this, right at the beginning or after I've filtered out the data I want to keep.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

New Super Users

Meet the Power Automate Super Users!

Many congratulations to the Season 1 2021 Flownaut Crew!

New Badges

New Solution Badges!

Check out our new profile badges recognizing authored solutions!

MPA Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the community blog page where you can find valuable learning material from community and product team members!

Users online (35,343)