cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Get email from shared mailbox - Invalid Mailbox ID

When a new email arrives in shared mailbox it triggers the flow.

I want to get that email data and do things with it, but the step "Get email (V2)" can't find the Mailbox Item Id.

Need help, any ideas?

this was working previously.

It's strange that I get a green light on "when a new email arrives" so it's definitely authenticating to that shared mailbox and registering a new email arrival, but when I try to get email, it fails regardless of my selection of message ID typeserrrr.PNG

errr.PNG

er.PNG

Thank you in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Re: Get email from shared mailbox - Invalid Mailbox ID

@sidkasat  and @Jasong911,

forgive me for my being so bored,  but previously you have just exploit the bug.

Here is a citation from the doc:

Shared Mailbox Support

Except for the operations with shared mailbox in their titles, the other operations do not support shared mailboxes as of yet. 

Do you see "shared mailbox" in this title: "Get email (v2)"?  I don't.

@Jasong911 , I noted that you  have used the deprecated action "Get email" instead of "Get email (v2)". It might be a source of the problem.

The same MS documentation recommends:

As a workaround, you will need to use Invoke an HTTP request action under HTTP with Azure AD connector. When creating a connection for HTTP with Azure AD connector, input text https://graph.microsoft.com/ for both Azure AD Resource URI and Base Resource URL connection parameters. Once created, you can refer to Outlook mail REST API to set URL and optionally the request body to call its shared mailbox APIs. Note that some of the Outlook functions will only be available on beta version of Graph API. HTTP with Azure AD connector is a premium connector and will not be available if you are having free plan of Microsoft Power Automate.

Regards,

Victor

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
Highlighted
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Hello.

do not use "Get email" but use GRAPH request instead.

Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

can  you please point me towards some reference materials?

Highlighted
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Thank you.

That got complicated/I'm out of my league quick. I'm excited to learn about graph, but need a solution that's within FLOW's plug and play components, and doesn't require me learning a new technology. 

This was working perfectly in flow, and I can't figure out what's changed. 

Highlighted
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Dear @Jasong911 ,

>This was working perfectly in flow, and I can't figure out what's changed. 

Are you sure? The action "Get email (V2)" is aimed for getting email from your personal mailbox but not from the shared mailbox.

>...need a solution that's within FLOW's plug and play components...

As far as I know that's just impossible.

If you'll find a way to do that "within Flow" please let me know.

Regards,

Victor

Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Thank you again for your wisdom... I can see where using Graph could be a game changer.

This was indeed working two weeks ago - with the standard Outlook Get email part. Was that a fluke/happy accident/bug?

Now it seems when I add that outlook web part, I'm getting an authentication issue, and I'm unable to "fix connection". 

could it be an permissions issue with that con

Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

complianceFlow_getEmail_Working_example.PNGcomplianceFlow_getEmail_Working_example2.PNG

Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

@Jasong911 I am having the same issue since Monday where it started failing and had been running successfully for the last 5 months. I have a step which marks the shared mailbox email as 'Read' using the MessageId of the outlook item and that step has been failing for some reason- Invalid Mailbox Item Id.

Flow team, any help would be appreciated

Highlighted
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

@sidkasat  and @Jasong911,

forgive me for my being so bored,  but previously you have just exploit the bug.

Here is a citation from the doc:

Shared Mailbox Support

Except for the operations with shared mailbox in their titles, the other operations do not support shared mailboxes as of yet. 

Do you see "shared mailbox" in this title: "Get email (v2)"?  I don't.

@Jasong911 , I noted that you  have used the deprecated action "Get email" instead of "Get email (v2)". It might be a source of the problem.

The same MS documentation recommends:

As a workaround, you will need to use Invoke an HTTP request action under HTTP with Azure AD connector. When creating a connection for HTTP with Azure AD connector, input text https://graph.microsoft.com/ for both Azure AD Resource URI and Base Resource URL connection parameters. Once created, you can refer to Outlook mail REST API to set URL and optionally the request body to call its shared mailbox APIs. Note that some of the Outlook functions will only be available on beta version of Graph API. HTTP with Azure AD connector is a premium connector and will not be available if you are having free plan of Microsoft Power Automate.

Regards,

Victor

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Advocate III
Advocate III

I started getting this same issue starting 4/19.  This flow has been running for 6 months many times a day with no issues.  When a document is received in a shared mailbox I am getting the email and it is throwing the error.flowfail.jpg

Did you get any other info on this?

FlowFail2.jpg

Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

@SPDevelKMT No currently there is no more info on it. I have just removed the task of marking the email is read in my flow so it doesn't show as Failed. Still waiting to hear back from the Flow team on what changed

Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

Another solution was found on another thread about the same issue. 

Change the password of the shared mailbox itself and create a connection for Outlook Office 365 using that new password. Change any action to use that connection and it'll work. 

Highlighted
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Hi @jonathanford,

could you please give more details?

As far as I know, a shared mailbox has no any password as it has no  linked account.

Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

Sure thing; shared mailboxes do in fact have users attached to them. From admin.microsoft.com you can search for your shared mailbox display name or address and change it from there. That's what I did and it worked beautifully once I added the new connection. 

Highlighted
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

So all you have done is changing the primary address of the shared mailbox

Please confirm.

What should I do if I need the old address and do not want to modify it?

Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

No, you do not change the primary address of the mailbox. You simply change the password for the user associated with the mailbox itself. This doesn't change delegate access in anyway. 

Highlighted
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

It seems I finally understood. You have changed the password of the user who runs the flow and who has access to the shared mailbox.

If so, please don't be offended but it's not a solution at all.  Imagine this user is your boss 😉

Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

Nope; not what I did. For example, you have a shared mailbox called shared@domain.com. With shared@domain.com there's actually a user associated with it. Go to admin.microsoft.com and search for shared, you'll find the user. Click the key and reset the password. You don't have to worry about this interrupting anyone's delegate access to this mailbox. Go to Flow: click Data on the left side then Connectors. Now click New Connection at the top. Search "Outlook" select Office 365 Outlook. Enter shared@domain.com and the password you created and create the connector. Now go to your broken flow and click the three dots beside the failing action and select the new connection you just created. 

Highlighted
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

>For example, you have a shared mailbox called shared@domain.com. With shared@domain.com there's actually a user associated with it.

No sir. The shared mailbox has no linked/associated users.  

>Go to admin.microsoft.com and search for shared, you'll find the user.

Please show me a screenshot where a user exists in "shared". There are only shared mailboxes in my "shared".

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

firstImage

Join the new Power Virtual Agents Community!

We are excited to announce the launch of Power Virtual Agents Community. Check it out now!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (13,477)