cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IRieger
Frequent Visitor

Get url of SharePoint site that a Form is embedded in

Hi folks,

I've built a Flow for a Forms contact form on a SharePoint site that creates a new Planner task when someone submits an inquiry, which works just fine. But as we have a separate page for different departments that each have their own Planner board, I would like to reuse my existing Form and expand the Flow to pick the Planner board depending on the SharePoint site that the Form was submitted from, rather than making a copy of the same Form and Flow for each department (which would also be a pain for any future changes).

My current solution is a dropdown to select the department manually, but that's kind of redundant considering you're already on the SharePoint page of said department. I thought to get the url of the site that the Form is embedded in, and branch the Flow to set the Planner board and responsible person accordingly.

Is this possible at all, and if so, what's the most elegant way to solve this? If not, is there a workaround?

7 REPLIES 7
v-lin-msft
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Hello @IRieger,

Although each team will have a separate SharePoint creation, the planner in the team exists separately from the SharePoint site, and a team may be have multiple planner boards, so you cannot create planner board tasks based on the SharePoint site in the form.

Could you show me the screenshot and details of your flow configuration, please? So that I can see what your current workaround looks like, and we can evaluate the possibility of your requirements implementation.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Lin Tu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-lin-msft, thank you for your reply!

Here's my current Flow - I apologize for the mess of German and English, I started with a template and added to it. Hope it's legible enough anyway. I'm also not exactly a developer, I understand a few things but I'm still learning the ropes of Flow.

2019-05-17 09_09_15-Microsoft Edge.png

Here I'm initializing a string variable to use for the task details later, so I won't have to update those in six different branches.

2019_05_17_09_11_01_Microsoft_Edge.png

Between the previous step and this one is the option for users to receive a confirmation email, I left that out because I don't think it's relevant here? Then the Flow branches out - "Bereich" is a dropdown menu in the Form that lets them choose the department, and depending on that choice it will pick the corresponding Planner board (there is exactly one per team in our case) and assign a task to the person responsible. It will also save the ID of that newly created task in the taskID variable.

This is where ideally I'd like to skip the dropdown and move the department picking to the backend, to save the user a few clicks and make it a little less clunky. And my hope was to do that through the url of the site the Form is accessed from, since it's embedded on each department's SharePoint page. In case it makes a difference: they're all part of the same overall SharePoint site, only separate pages within that.

2019-05-17 09_13_15-Microsoft Edge.png

And finally we're updating the task details to actually contain the Form entries. Afterwards it just sends me a success or failure email, that was a part of the original template that I didn't mess with.

The Flow works as it is, I just think it's a little awkward for users to have to navigate to a department page and then pick the department again in the contact form.

Thanks for your time!

Hello @IRieger,

You can try to create a method based on the plan name to create a task, first create a Form column the plan name, then when a new item is created, trigger the flow, get all the Plans name and id, and then find a the plan name corresponding to the create item, and then fill in the plan id in the "create task" action.

Please take a try with the following workaround:

Annotation 2019-05-17 170915.png

Annotation 2019-05-17 170628.png

Annotation 2019-05-17 170654.png

The result of flow run:Annotation 2019-05-16 175435.png

I hope it will help you, and you have any problem, please contact us.

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-lin-msft, and thank you very much for the tutorial.

I think I understand the approach you're suggesting, and it would certainly get rid of the clunky branches I set up there - but I don't think it's really what I'm looking for. It would still require the user to pick which team they're contacting, only with the actual internal name of the Plan this time, right? I could probably change the dropdown to accomodate that, but our internal names differ a little from the ones we're using on the SharePoint site, so it might get confusing for users in addition to being an extra step I'm trying to eliminate. Until management decides on more consistent naming, I'm not sure this will make my contact form more user friendly.

Your suggestion, if I understand it correctly, would be neat for internal users who know the Plans we're working with, but this is more of an outward facing application (for colleagues outside of our department) that I would like to make as smooth a user experience as possible.

But again, thank you for providing a possible workaround, I really appreciate it!

Addition: I just realized I don't necessarily need to read the url of the SharePoint page in question. I'm tagging each page with its department in the Pages library for organizational purposes. Will now look if it's possible to get that worked into my Flow, since I imagine it'd be a little more flexible than a fixed url!

So really at this point the thing I'm trying to find out is if it's possible to access the data of a SharePoint page through a Form embedded within it, without additional user input. If that's fundamentally impossible, I'll have to live with that or find another way.

Hello @IRieger,

I think the requirement you want to implement is that external users can get the plan name specified in it by typing team name in MS Form. It is not feasible to add the task directly through this way, because the Connector MS Teams does not provide APIs the plan included in the separate team.

However, assuming that each of your separate teams contains one or more plan boards, which are not updated frequently, you can add the team plan to your MS Form options when an external user enters the team name in the MS form. At the time, you can choose the team to which he belongs, just like the screenshot below.

Annotation 2019-05-20 120815.png

You need to create a SharePoint list, which stores the team name and plan name. When you create the team task to which the external user belongs, you will find the corresponding plan name. Then the flow will get the Plan ID of the corresponding plan name in the plan list. Plan id add task. About adding the next step by looking up the corresponding plan name, you can refer to my last reply.

Annotation 2019-05-20 121435.png

In this case, the user does not have to fill in the plan name, only need to know the team name, but there is only one designated plan board in each team.

Of course, this is based on the fact that your team is limited and not updated frequently. If your team and plan name change, you need to make changes to the TeamList data in SharePoint. I think the only inconvenience is that these are manual. Operational.

I hope this method can help you.

Best Regards,

Hi @v-lin-msft and thank you again for your advice.

While it's still not 100% what I was looking for in terms of reducing redundant steps for external users, I did implement your suggestion with a SharePoint list and filtered array now instead of juggling 6 Flow branches. It took me a while to get everything to work, but I also saved each respective inbox bucket and responsible team member in the list so my Flow is much cleaner now.

I suppose a little dropdown menu is a small enough inconvenience to accept for users if it means we won't have to keep up 6 different Forms, so I'll keep it as it is for now.

Thank you again!

This is how I solved it for now:

2019-05-21 11_11_55-Edit your flow _ Microsoft Flow und 5 weitere Seiten ‎- Microsoft Edge.png

2019-05-21 11_08_50-.png

Helpful resources

Announcements

Exclusive LIVE Community Event: Power Apps Copilot Coffee Chat with Copilot Studio Product Team

It's time for the SECOND Power Apps Copilot Coffee Chat featuring the Copilot Studio product team, which will be held LIVE on April 3, 2024 at 9:30 AM Pacific Daylight Time (PDT).     This is an incredible opportunity to connect with members of the Copilot Studio product team and ask them anything about Copilot Studio. We'll share our special guests with you shortly--but we want to encourage to mark your calendars now because you will not want to miss the conversation.   This live event will give you the unique opportunity to learn more about Copilot Studio plans, where we’ll focus, and get insight into upcoming features. We’re looking forward to hearing from the community, so bring your questions!   TO GET ACCESS TO THIS EXCLUSIVE AMA: Kudo this post to reserve your spot! Reserve your spot now by kudoing this post.  Reservations will be prioritized on when your kudo for the post comes through, so don't wait! Click that "kudo button" today.   Invitations will be sent on April 2nd.Users posting Kudos after April 2nd at 9AM PDT may not receive an invitation but will be able to view the session online after conclusion of the event. Give your "kudo" today and mark your calendars for April 3, 2024 at 9:30 AM PDT and join us for an engaging and informative session!

Tuesday Tip: Unlocking Community Achievements and Earning Badges

TUESDAY TIPS are our way of communicating helpful things we've learned or shared that have helped members of the Community. Whether you're just getting started or you're a seasoned pro, Tuesday Tips will help you know where to go, what to look for, and navigate your way through the ever-growing--and ever-changing--world of the Power Platform Community! We cover basics about the Community, provide a few "insider tips" to make your experience even better, and share best practices gleaned from our most active community members and Super Users.   With so many new Community members joining us each week, we'll also review a few of our "best practices" so you know just "how" the Community works, so make sure to watch the News & Announcements each week for the latest and greatest Tuesday Tips!     THIS WEEK'S TIP: Unlocking Achievements and Earning BadgesAcross the Communities, you'll see badges on users profile that recognize and reward their engagement and contributions. These badges each signify a different achievement--and all of those achievements are available to any Community member! If you're a seasoned pro or just getting started, you too can earn badges for the great work you do. Check out some details on Community badges below--and find out more in the detailed link at the end of the article!       A Diverse Range of Badges to Collect The badges you can earn in the Community cover a wide array of activities, including: Kudos Received: Acknowledges the number of times a user’s post has been appreciated with a “Kudo.”Kudos Given: Highlights the user’s generosity in recognizing others’ contributions.Topics Created: Tracks the number of discussions initiated by a user.Solutions Provided: Celebrates the instances where a user’s response is marked as the correct solution.Reply: Counts the number of times a user has engaged with community discussions.Blog Contributor: Honors those who contribute valuable content and are invited to write for the community blog.       A Community Evolving Together Badges are not only a great way to recognize outstanding contributions of our amazing Community members--they are also a way to continue fostering a collaborative and supportive environment. As you continue to share your knowledge and assist each other these badges serve as a visual representation of your valuable contributions.   Find out more about badges in these Community Support pages in each Community: All About Community Badges - Power Apps CommunityAll About Community Badges - Power Automate CommunityAll About Community Badges - Copilot Studio CommunityAll About Community Badges - Power Pages Community

Tuesday Tips: Powering Up Your Community Profile

TUESDAY TIPS are our way of communicating helpful things we've learned or shared that have helped members of the Community. Whether you're just getting started or you're a seasoned pro, Tuesday Tips will help you know where to go, what to look for, and navigate your way through the ever-growing--and ever-changing--world of the Power Platform Community! We cover basics about the Community, provide a few "insider tips" to make your experience even better, and share best practices gleaned from our most active community members and Super Users.   With so many new Community members joining us each week, we'll also review a few of our "best practices" so you know just "how" the Community works, so make sure to watch the News & Announcements each week for the latest and greatest Tuesday Tips!   This Week's Tip: Power Up Your Profile!  🚀 It's where every Community member gets their start, and it's essential that you keep it updated! Your Community User Profile is how you're able to get messages, post solutions, ask questions--and as you rank up, it's where your badges will appear and how you'll be known when you start blogging in the Community Blog. Your Community User Profile is how the Community knows you--so it's essential that it works the way you need it to! From changing your username to updating contact information, this Knowledge Base Article is your best resource for powering up your profile.     Password Puzzles? No Problem! Find out how to sync your Azure AD password with your community account, ensuring a seamless sign-in. No separate passwords to remember! Job Jumps & Email Swaps Changed jobs? Got a new email? Fear not! You'll find out how to link your shiny new email to your existing community account, keeping your contributions and connections intact. Username Uncertainties Unraveled Picking the perfect username is crucial--and sometimes the original choice you signed up with doesn't fit as well as you may have thought. There's a quick way to request an update here--but remember, your username is your community identity, so choose wisely. "Need Admin Approval" Warning Window? If you see this error message while using the community, don't worry. A simple process will help you get where you need to go. If you still need assistance, find out how to contact your Community Support team. Whatever you're looking for, when it comes to your profile, the Community Account Support Knowledge Base article is your treasure trove of tips as you navigate the nuances of your Community Profile. It’s the ultimate resource for keeping your digital identity in tip-top shape while engaging with the Power Platform Community. So, dive in and power up your profile today!  💪🚀   Community Account Support | Power Apps Community Account Support | Power AutomateCommunity Account Support | Copilot Studio  Community Account Support | Power Pages

Super User of the Month | Chris Piasecki

In our 2nd installment of this new ongoing feature in the Community, we're thrilled to announce that Chris Piasecki is our Super User of the Month for March 2024. If you've been in the Community for a while, we're sure you've seen a comment or marked one of Chris' helpful tips as a solution--he's been a Super User for SEVEN consecutive seasons!   Since authoring his first reply in April 2020 to his most recent achievement organizing the Canadian Power Platform Summit this month, Chris has helped countless Community members with his insights and expertise. In addition to being a Super User, Chris is also a User Group leader, Microsoft MVP, and a featured speaker at the Microsoft Power Platform Conference. His contributions to the new SUIT program, along with his joyous personality and willingness to jump in and help so many members has made Chris a fixture in the Power Platform Community.   When Chris isn't authoring solutions or organizing events, he's actively leading Piasecki Consulting, specializing in solution architecture, integration, DevOps, and more--helping clients discover how to strategize and implement Microsoft's technology platforms. We are grateful for Chris' insightful help in the Community and look forward to even more amazing milestones as he continues to assist so many with his great tips, solutions--always with a smile and a great sense of humor.You can find Chris in the Community and on LinkedIn. Thanks for being such a SUPER user, Chris! 💪 🌠  

Find Out What Makes Super Users So Super

We know many of you visit the Power Platform Communities to ask questions and receive answers. But do you know that many of our best answers and solutions come from Community members who are super active, helping anyone who needs a little help getting unstuck with Business Applications products? We call these dedicated Community members Super Users because they are the real heroes in the Community, willing to jump in whenever they can to help! Maybe you've encountered them yourself and they've solved some of your biggest questions. Have you ever wondered, "Why?"We interviewed several of our Super Users to understand what drives them to help in the Community--and discover the difference it has made in their lives as well! Take a look in our gallery today: What Motivates a Super User? - Power Platform Community (microsoft.com)

March User Group Update: New Groups and Upcoming Events!

Welcome to this month’s celebration of our Community User Groups and exciting User Group events. We’re thrilled to introduce some brand-new user groups that have recently joined our vibrant community. Plus, we’ve got a lineup of engaging events you won’t want to miss. Let’s jump right in: New User Groups   Sacramento Power Platform GroupANZ Power Platform COE User GroupPower Platform MongoliaPower Platform User Group OmanPower Platform User Group Delta StateMid Michigan Power Platform Upcoming Events  DUG4MFG - Quarterly Meetup - Microsoft Demand PlanningDate: 19 Mar 2024 | 10:30 AM to 12:30 PM Central America Standard TimeDescription: Dive into the world of manufacturing with a focus on Demand Planning. Learn from industry experts and share your insights. Dynamics User Group HoustonDate: 07 Mar 2024 | 11:00 AM to 01:00 PM Central America Standard TimeDescription: Houston, get ready for an immersive session on Dynamics 365 and the Power Platform. Connect with fellow professionals and expand your knowledge. Reading Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Group (Q1)Date: 05 Mar 2024 | 06:00 PM to 09:00 PM GMT Standard TimeDescription: Join our virtual meetup for insightful discussions, demos, and community updates. Let’s kick off Q1 with a bang! Leaders, Create Your Events!  Leaders of existing User Groups, don’t forget to create your events within the Community platform. By doing so, you’ll enable us to share them in future posts and newsletters. Let’s spread the word and make these gatherings even more impactful! Stay tuned for more updates, inspiring stories, and collaborative opportunities from and for our Community User Groups.   P.S. Have an event or success story to share? Reach out to us – we’d love to feature you!

Users online (4,482)