Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
adljohnson
Level: Powered On

Google Sheets: No dynamic content

Hi all,

I'm very hopeful that someone can help me.  Flow has me very excited and I'd like to utilize it in several of my integration projects.

My issue is that I cannot seem to get Flow to recognize the column names in a Google Sheet I need as a data source.  I have tried a custom build, as well as the provided template, to grab the data from Google Sheets and insert it to a SQL database.  When I get to SQL's "insert rows", it says that there is no dynamic content; it simply won't read my Google Sheet.

Here is a screenshot of my Google sheet; you can see that I have column headers in the first row.  I've also provided a screenshot of my flow.  Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Capture.PNGGoogle SheetCapture2.PNGFlow Structure

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Google Sheets: No dynamic content

Hi Adljohnson,

I think here we could use the Google Sheet add-on "Table Styles" to insert a table in GoogleSheets.

This would allow Flow to auto-generate the column data from GoogleSheets, then insert it into SQL server.

48.PNG

Please take a try and see if it would work.

If any further assistance needed, please feel free to post back.

Regards

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Super User
Super User

Hi @adljohnson,

You need to create a table for your column names.  Follow this link to create the table.

https://support.google.com/docs/answer/1272900?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en

Once you create the table you should be able to map the column names. See below.

m1.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up

Proud to be a Flownaut!

adljohnson

Hi abm,

Thank you for responding.  Just to be clear, you want me to create a pivot table (the link you provided) even though I'm not pivoting any data? Creating any table will be difficult since I only have View access.  I'll see if I can get the creators to make this change and will check back in.

Super User
Super User

Hi @adljohnson,

Yes that's correct. You need to create a pivot table, then only you can map the columns. Microsoft Excel sheet works in flow with similar way.

Thanks

Proud to be a Flownaut!

adljohnson

Thank you for your answer abm.  The difference is a named table in Excel keeps the data in a tabular format while pivoting changes the data structure.  The Google sheet is being used by our compliance department to track accepted and compliant social media links used by our sales personnel.  They need this sheet to stay in a tabular format, and I need this raw data to integrate with other SQL tables for our other systems.

Unfortunately, this is just not a viable solution to my problem.  I will look elsewhere for my integration problem and hopefully get to use Flow in a different project.  I am disappointed since this seems like a very extreme limitation between Flow and Google Sheets.

Thank you for your help though.

Super User
Super User

Hi @adljohnson,

But when you create a Pivot table it creates a new sheet with your empty Pivot table report. The orignial sheet will stay in a tabular format. That's my understanding.

Thanks

Proud to be a Flownaut!

adljohnson

Hi abm,

You are correct in that the pivot table opens in a new worksheet, but I also need the data in tabular format... and I don't have Write access to this Google Sheet, only View access.  The main hangup is that I need the raw data and cannot make a pivot table work as a tabular table to send records to SQL.

Thanks again.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi Adljohnson,

I think here we could use the Google Sheet add-on "Table Styles" to insert a table in GoogleSheets.

This would allow Flow to auto-generate the column data from GoogleSheets, then insert it into SQL server.

48.PNG

Please take a try and see if it would work.

If any further assistance needed, please feel free to post back.

Regards

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

adljohnson

Hi v-micsh-msft,

This does and doesn't work for my problem, but is definitely the solution for the problem.  Thank you so much.

Since I have View Only access to the Google Sheet, I can't alter the spreadsheet to add Table Styles.  To try to work around this, I created a Google Sheet on my Google Drive, and then did an ImportRange to get a synced copy of the data.  I was able to apply Table Styles, but the defined table seems to get lost with each refresh.  Since the table gets lost, Flow can't connect to the data.

I the added Table Styles to a completedly unrelated Google Sheet to test the Flow acceptance, and it worked perfectly.  I'll have to see if I can get the Google Sheet owner to add Table Styles to the sheet I need.

Thank you so much!

Anna

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Power Platform Online Conference

Speakers, submit your sessions now! Call for speakers ends Feb. 10!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,943)