cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Foniex
Regular Visitor

Grant access to a list item but user has no access to the list

We have been trying to grant access to a list item for the user which has no access to the list.

However, a page that displayed "Sorry, you don't have access." after the user clicks the shared link of the item.

My question is:

1) Is it possible to make it work for the user who has no access to the list but can view the list item content?

2) If 1) is impossible, can we grant access to the list for the user in the workflow?

4 REPLIES 4
jinivthakkar
Super User
Super User

@Foniex Here is the response to your questions :

1 - Yes, user can have item level permission, even if has no access to list.

2 - Yes, you can grant access using "Grant access to an item or a folder" action

jinivthakkar_0-1612330678247.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Would appreciate it if you can show me how to do it for option 1, I had gone through every step but finally still faced the "No access" issue. 

And for option 2, it seems that this action can only grant access to the list item instead of the list itself.

Foniex_0-1612331238477.png

jinivthakkar
Super User
Super User

@Foniex This is my flow which works fine, the user has no access to entire site yet after running the flow user is able to access item shared with him.

jinivthakkar_0-1612333441069.png

Why do you have a loop ? You really don't need one. You can assign permissions to multiple people in one go, so why send separate email ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.

@jinivthakkar My flow also worked fine, and I can see the user has read permission on the list item, but when the user opens the shared link for the item, it just prompted "No access", I have no idea what is the root cause.

Fo the loop because the Reader List is a field of Person or Group,  the power automate added an Apply To Each to wrap my action automatically when I added the field from the dynamic content.

Foniex_0-1612340555123.png

Foniex_1-1612340727414.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Users online (1,847)