cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PMac
Helper II
Helper II

HELP! Automated flow is suddenly sending out hundreds of emails on a loop

I have a fairly simple flow that when an line item in SharePoint is updated with a persons name then an email goes out to that person with details.  This has been working for several months and then overnight it went into overdrive sending out hundreds of emails.  I've tried cancelling the outstanding runs but it will only let me do that for about 40 of them.  I've also turned the flow off.

Any ideas what has happened?  This isn't the only flow that has suddenly become unstable.  Has something been updated that may have affected them?

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-alzhan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PMac ,

As @ScottShearer  said, please check from your flows to see if your have any flow that would run when the item is modified, I'm afraid that you have a flow that would update the item when the item is modified, so your flow would continuously be triggered and send the email when item item is modified for the first time.

Best regards,

Alice       

Community Support Team _ Alice Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ScottShearer
Super User
Super User

@PMac 

Can you post a screen shot of your Flow?

Also, is it possible that another Flow has been created that also runs when the list is updated?

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

So I have two columns one (column a) that is both manually updated, and automatically updated (depending on a condition) and one column (column b) which updates based on the column a being completed.  Column b is used as a condition so that if column a is updated but it doesn't match column b, it will send out an email.

Column a is the trigger, column b is a check/condition.  What seems to have happened is that I updated column b to avoid an email going out when I updated column a, however that then sent the flow into a loop sending out an email to the four line items in column b every hour until I discovered what was happening.

I've since disconnected the flow, created a new flow, updated the SharePoint list and reconnected the new flow.  It seems to have stopped the emails and the looping, and I now know that I need to disconnect the flow before making any changes that may trigger the flow.

v-alzhan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PMac ,

As @ScottShearer  said, please check from your flows to see if your have any flow that would run when the item is modified, I'm afraid that you have a flow that would update the item when the item is modified, so your flow would continuously be triggered and send the email when item item is modified for the first time.

Best regards,

Alice       

Community Support Team _ Alice Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Users online (1,754)