cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
splitThatSheet

HELP a poor designer lad trying to code: Dynamic Content as a Delimiter

I spent my entire Saturday trying to figure this out. I gave up and signed up, now posting here (I wish I did THIS much early)

Here goes:

I am building a flow to get data from system-generated emails, from Facebook applicants to website submissions.  I am using the Senders Name well to get their name and use it as a delimiter. 

split(triggerOutputs()?['body/Body'], 'triggerOutputs()?['body/SenderName']')

I am very new to this, sorry, BUT I am getting the hang of it.  I need your guidance, please! How can I make any dynamic content do anything and use it anywhere I want? 

THANK YOU!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
manuelstgomes
Super User
Super User

HI @splitThatSheet 

I think your formula is not 100% correct. There are extra quotes. Try the following:

split(triggerOutputs()?['body/Body'],outputs('Compose'))

Can you please try?

Cheers
Manuel

------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution." It will help other members finding the solution faster. If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up. ?
Otherwise, reply to it, and the community will do its best to help you.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
manuelstgomes
Super User
Super User

Hey @splitThatSheet 

Let's figure this out. 😀

For me to understand what you need, you're fetching the emails and want to do something with them, is that it?

Can you please describe a bit more? I'm sure we will find a way to solve your problem.

Cheers
Manuel

If I have answered your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution." It will help other members finding the solution faster. If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up. ?

splitThatSheet

Hey thanks 🙂

Correct.  The email address will be my best delimiter to use.  Job applicant emails from Facebook are a pain to work with.  Tried many things but I am very new to these things.  

splitThatSheet_0-1632073413089.png

splitThatSheet

I've been trying to macgyver this up but it is laughing back at me atm

splitThatSheet_0-1632073693362.png

manuelstgomes
Super User
Super User

HI @splitThatSheet 

I think your formula is not 100% correct. There are extra quotes. Try the following:

split(triggerOutputs()?['body/Body'],outputs('Compose'))

Can you please try?

Cheers
Manuel

View solution in original post

Manuel,  Thank you so much!  I don't know what happened but, what's the logic with it??  documentation says there's a single quote.

Removed and everything starts working!  Thank you 😊

splitThatSheet_2-1632075096525.png

splitThatSheet_1-1632074494517.png

manuelstgomes
Super User
Super User

Hi @splitThatSheet 

My pleasure. Indeed you're right, but the quotes indicate that we're defining a static string. When we use functions to refer to data, like the outputs, for example, then you don't need the quotes. Think of it this way. If it's inside quotes, it doesn't matter what is there, but Flow reads it as a sequence of characters. If there are no quotes, then Flow will read it as a function and fetch the value.

Makes sense?

Cheers
Manuel

Perfectly!  What I'm wondering is why it isn't that mentioned on the documentation? Or it is, but I wasn't aware of it.  I thought it was a solid rule that it is always a string nesting inside a single quote.  Some of the videos I watched were very informative, but I haven't encountered them: flow Joe, Reza, and Jon, Paul among the others.

Lastly, if you don't mind, I lack the fundamental knowledge of how, what condition, when, and where to use the open and close (  ), the comma, this  [  ] amongst others.  Does it equate to the grade school math principle that brackets are to be solved first, then proceed outwards?

Thanks again Manuel!

manuelstgomes
Super User
Super User

HI @splitThatSheet 

Indeed. Probably something is missing in the documentation.

Regarding your question, I'll provide a quick answer now and write something explaining things in a bit more detail; sounds good?

Before I start, think of this as a gross oversimplification. There's a lot to explain, but I want to provide you with a small overview.

1. Open and close mean that it's a function. So, for example, the div(a,b) will divide the a by the b and return the result. I have my reference here with some examples.

2. The [] you'll use to access arrays. Think of an array as a sequence of values. For example, when you get a list of items from SharePoint, you'll get an "array" of items. So when you see "[ ]", think of a sequence of elements. Usually, you can even see arrays like this ["one","two","three"] where you have three items in the array. To access the first item, you use the [] to indicate the item that you want. For example, array[1] will be the "two" since it starts the count with 0, not one.

3. The comma usually separates the items in an element. For example, think if you have the element "Person". The person has a "Name" and "Age". So to access the name of the person, you use the comma to separate the items. For example, "Person.Name". 

Please again, that is oversimplifying, but I'll work on an article that will explain this a bit bitter.

I hope it helps you, but feel free to contact me in case you need further assistance.

Cheers
Manuel

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Users online (1,608)