Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

Help with triggering from SharePoint metadata in a document library

Hello everyone,

Here is the background information...

We have a document library in SharePoint Online called "Weekly SP Briefs" that has 2 metadata columns (1) "MeetingDate" and (2) "Send?" 

Every week we create two new documents within the document library. One is a .docx and the other is a .pptx. By default, the "MeetingDate" column is manually filled in, and the "Send?" column is set to "No."

Here is a snapshot of the Document Library:

pic of doc lib.png

We want to make it so that when the metadata in column "Send?" is set to "Yes" for the .docx file it flows out an email indicating that the .docx file is ready to be reviewed and within the email we want to send a direct link to both the .docx and the .pptx files so the email receipients can review both files. 

My current progress on the flow is attached hereto in the form of a picture.

SS of Flow.png

Below is a snapshot of the email that is generated:

Flow Email.png

The issues I am having with the flow right now are as follows:

(1) I don't believe I am using Flow to correctly accomplish this task; i.e. I don't think I should be using a "Switch," however the flow is working correctly by ONLY sending an email when metadata in column "Send?" is being changed to "Yes."

(2) I have an issue with Dynamic Fields not working properly (see email picture above and comment to the right side in red-colored font). 

(3) How am I able to automate referencing/providing a direct link to a document that the Flow is not based off of? Basically, how can I provide a direct link to for both files within the same Flow?

(3.1) I guess by setting the "Send?" metadata column to "Yes" for both the .docx and the .pptx files would work, but that would send two emails and require additional input from the user changing the metadata, which basically eliminates the purpose of automation. 

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Michelangelo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi Michelangelo,

About issue1), you could consider to add a Condition in your flow.

When “Send?” is equal to Yes, do an action. If No, do another action. Likes below:

3.PNG

A Switch case is an easy way to have parallel branches of conditional logic based on a single value, I think that it can also be used in your case.

About issue2, with above flow configuration, I can get the MeetingDate when the flow runs. Please remove the special characters “**” to see if it will work.

About issue3, do you mean that you want to provide a link for both .docx and .pptx files? I am afraid that it might be not possible, it seems that we can only provide a single link for the modified file.

About issue3.1, your flow would be triggered whenever a file is modified or created, so if you don’t want it to be triggered when a .pptx file is modified/created, you could add another condition in your flow. Please add the file type after the file name, then use the condition if file name contains .docx. If yes, send an email, if no, do nothing.

Hope it could be a reference for you.

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi Michelangelo,

About issue1), you could consider to add a Condition in your flow.

When “Send?” is equal to Yes, do an action. If No, do another action. Likes below:

3.PNG

A Switch case is an easy way to have parallel branches of conditional logic based on a single value, I think that it can also be used in your case.

About issue2, with above flow configuration, I can get the MeetingDate when the flow runs. Please remove the special characters “**” to see if it will work.

About issue3, do you mean that you want to provide a link for both .docx and .pptx files? I am afraid that it might be not possible, it seems that we can only provide a single link for the modified file.

About issue3.1, your flow would be triggered whenever a file is modified or created, so if you don’t want it to be triggered when a .pptx file is modified/created, you could add another condition in your flow. Please add the file type after the file name, then use the condition if file name contains .docx. If yes, send an email, if no, do nothing.

Hope it could be a reference for you.

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Very insightful logic here. I'm more accustom to seeing work flows in code-based orientation versus the use of a GUI such as Flow. So much logic becomes hidden by the GUI that it makes it hard to figure things out sometimes!

Thanks for your insight and assistance with these issues!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Users online (13,101)