cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I converting work Item description from Azure DevOps into plaintext?

I have a flow that lists all work items in azure devops into a tabular form which then sends the table as an email, in HTML. Unfortunately, the description field refuses to convert into plaintext. As far as I am aware, this is because the text editor for the description field in Azure Devops is not written in markdown. Here is my flow:

adilislam61920_4-1595536021283.png

Which then sends the following message (I'm testing it being sent to myself):

adilislam61920_2-1595535839735.png

But the email as you can see still has the CSS information lingering on the descriptions of each work item.

adilislam61920_3-1595535950357.png

In Azure DevOps I have also removed all formatting from each work item (individually!). So is there a formula I can use that converts the description field to plaintext? Also I have tried the Convert HTML to Plaintext action and this does not work as it would not return a table with each consecutive description (per work item) converted in plaintext.

Please help!

4 REPLIES 4
manuelstgomes
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

DevOps stores the description file in rich text. The full reference can be found here.

In this case, the rich text is storing the values encoded (for example &#x3C; instead of <), so when you set them up in the email decodes and shows <div>, for example.

I don't think there's a function here that will help you with that. I can only see two solutions:

1. Create an Azure function that converts that for you
  2. Find a web service that you can pass the string, and it returns the decoded string.

If someone else here knows another solution I would also like to learn how to do it. 

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Cheers
Manuel

iemnathaniel

I'm still looking for the answer to this issue. 

thenecroscope1
Helper I
Helper I

I'm having the exact same issue now 😞

I was thinking this was going to take ages to resolve by using lots string manipulation methods. I just stumbled on this which seems to work for me at the minute, I need to do some more real test, but I will post here just in case I forget to post later on 🙂

thenecroscope1_0-1632929428750.png

"HTML TO TEXT" even though its markdown

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Power Automate Designer Feedback_carousel.jpg

Help make Flow Design easier

Are you new to designing flows? What is your biggest struggle with Power Automate Designer? Help us make it more user friendly!

Users online (4,294)