cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thompsonp2
Level: Power Up

How do you change the initial trigger in a flow?

I created a flow based on a trigger if an item was added or modified from a sharepoint list.  I want to change this to just if one particular field is modified, but i don't know how to do that.  Is the only way to rebuild the flow from scratch?

13 REPLIES 13
Mike2500
Level 8

Re: How do you change the initial trigger in a flow?

1. You can change the trigger by deleting the original trigger and then simply adding a different one. Complicating this procedure is the fact that you can't delete the trigger if any other components are using fields from it. So, if you had an email action that used fields from the trigger, you'd have to remove those fields from the email before getting rid of the trigger.

2. There is no trigger to start a flow from modifying a particular field of a list. The old way of doing this is to have an extra field to store the older value, and then compare them. For example, if your field is "status", create a new field called "status_old". The flow would fire for every list change, and would compare those values. If the values were different, then it should proceed on, doing whatever it needed to do, and then update status_old with the current value in status.

thompsonp2
Level: Power Up

So basically, you would have to remove everything in the flow in order to remove the first trigger - essentially rebuilding it.

I've accidentally created a loop by having the trigger be create or modify an item at the end of my flow I have it update to Yes, if an item is approved - hence triggering another round of emails.  I really need it to be if it is just changing one field.  Doesn't sound like the old way would work for me anymore since the trigger is modifying a list.  I guess I'll just turn off the flow to do a manual update for now.  Thanks for your input!

ch2017
Level: Powered On

in my case i had a long & complex workflow i din't want to recreate from scratch - especially since MS Flow kept complaining about dependencies between the trigger & actions that i could not find when i tried to remove the original trigger

so i found this workaround

• export the workflow as a zip package (option "create as new")
  • make sure to rename the original workflow to avoid conflicts when importing
  • unzip the package file, look for the definition.json file
  • replace the trigger by editing the file:
    in case of a different trigger on the same connection it is rather straightforward, in my case i replaced "When_an_item_is_created" with "When_an_item_is_created_or_modified" , "GetOnNewItems" with "GetOnUpdatedItems" and "onnewitems" with "onupdateditems"
  • recreate the zipfile (make sure the Microsoft.Flow folder is in the root of the zip file)
  • reimport the package, the flow is now triggered by the new action

in case you have a different datasource the edit may be more complex, just create 2 small workflows, one with each trigger, export them and look for the differences in their JSON files to help you in the right direction

Hi Ch2017,

that is a great idea, just got the problem, that i can not export a package ....

image.png

Actually i do not understand why as I am logged in with my Admin Account with an e3 License. 

Is there an requirement for a special License?

ch2017

in terms of license there is no reason you are not able to export

Jim_Bu

This doesn't seem to work.  When I change "When_a_file_is_created_or_modified_(properties_only)" to "When_a_file_is_created_(properties_only)" I get an unknown error on import.

rr19

I have the same issue. When I try to import the package it just says "Something wnet wrong. Please try again later." Have you found a solution?

ch2017

this still works, just tested the change from "when item is created" to "when item is created or updated", no problem to import and use the edited version, there is also no reason that it would'n work as the JSON implementation is the same as two years ago

i have the same error when i forget to put the Microsoft.Flow at the root of the ZIP, so check that requirement

Jim_Bu

Is there some missing hidden step? I've literally done nothing more than extract the zip, change the single line, and rezipped directory.
ch2017

if you drop the exports (original and modified version) somewhere to download i can check what is wrong, be aware that some files may contain usernames so maybe remove them first

boyombo12

@ch2017  please how do i put Microsoft.Flow at the root of the ZIP

ch2017

just create a subfolder called Microsoft.Flow and ZIP the parent folder to match the folder structure of the export file

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (6,093)