cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
enkill
Level: Powered On

Re: How to clear SharePoint "Person or group" field

See the "see more" button on the top right of your dynamic content?

Try hitting that.

"ID" doesnt appear on most dynamic lists unless you do.

sjcitpro

I tried that, only thing that shows is Ask in PowerApps and when you click that is adds another SendanHTTPrequesttoSharePoint_Uri which can't be removed and screws up the Flow call adding another required argument.  The SendanHTTPrequesttoSharePoint_Uri works so no big deal. Thanks.

bu11frogg

If you restrict a Person column to a single entry, you cannot set that field to "null" Expression like other SharePoint columns.

However, if you allow multiple entries in the Person field, you can use the "null" Expression.  This works great for hidden fields e.g. "Current Approver", and is a lot easier than using the HTTP Request Flow Action.  Hopefully the Flow team can make this work for single-entry fields soon, too.

AmyWaggoner

@bu11frogg How were you able to get null working? What's the JSON look like? I'm trying this on a multi-entry person field and it will not clear it out. 

{
	"__metadata": {
		"type": "SP.Data.Break_x0020__x0020_EducateListItem"
	},
	"Register0": null
}

Also this empty array isn't working. 

{
	},
	"Register0":{"results":[]}
}
AmyWaggoner

{
	},
	"Register0Id":{"results":[0]}
}

**Update: I successfully have the above code working to clear out a multi-choice person field in Flow. The field name was missing "Id" after the name. 

bu11frogg

Nice, job @AmyWaggoner!  That solution will probably help someone!  My JSON skills are much less than you possess, so I would never have accomplished it.

Here's what I do in Flow to make it work (I know you already know some of these steps, but I'm including all here for the benefit of others):

In an "Update item" action (for instance), click the "Switch to input entire array" button.  That button is not present when the SharePoint Person column only allows a single name.

nullPerson1.PNG

Click in the empty "Claims" field and switch to Expression.  Type 'null' and click OK.

nullPerson2.PNG

This is what I end up with, which then works:

nullPerson3.PNG

Highlighted
AbulHassan

Hi guys,

I got the same issue and wanted to clear the people picker column value while updating an item. I did this below and it worked! My people picker was multiuser select enabled. so in the update item action, next to the people picker field, a small tiny icon says "Switch to input entire array" as mine as mutiple user selection people picker - yours may  be slightly different text. Then the field will show the JSON for the field like this,

[
{
"Claims": 
}
]

Then make your cursor click next to Claims and go to dynamic content --> Expression --> type "null" (without double quotes) and OK/update.

It should look like this,

clearPeoplePicker.png

Then if you run the flow, the update item action should clear the people picker! 

abul_oasis

this is working

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,195)