cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dsFra
Level: Power Up

How to convert Forms Likert Scale into value and compute average?

I am using a 6 point Likert Scale in Forms ("Oustanding", "Beyond Expectation", "Meets Expectation", "Below Expectation", "Issue", "Unknown"). I have 9 items, which are assessed along these lines.

How can I transform the data in Flow efficiently into values from 5 ("Oustanding") to 1 ("Issue") and compute the average of these values (with "Unknown" being ignored in the computation of the mean)?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: How to convert Forms Likert Scale into value and compute average?

Hi @dsFra 

This is possible but not straight forward.

I see where you are going with "if(equals(...,"Outstanding),5,if(equals(...,"Beyond Expectation"),4, ... etc ... ))" and what I propose below, may be able to further enhanced but here is a working example that has been tested and does provide the results you are looking for in a float so 1.5 is possible when averaging off the final compute.

Here is the form:Capture-316.png

Here is the FlowCapture-315.png

Here are the actions and expressions:Capture-317.png

Capture-319.png

if(equals(variables('Q1'), 'Oustanding'),int('5'),if(equals(variables('Q1'), 'Beyond Expectation'),int('4'),if(equals(variables('Q1'), 'Meets Expectation'),int('3'),if(equals(variables('Q1'), 'Below Expectation'),int('2'),if(equals(variables('Q1'), 'Issue'),int('1'),if(equals(variables('Q1'), 'Unknown'),int('0'),''))))))

Capture-320.png

if(equals(variables('Q2'), 'Oustanding'),int('5'),if(equals(variables('Q2'), 'Beyond Expectation'),int('4'),if(equals(variables('Q2'), 'Meets Expectation'),int('3'),if(equals(variables('Q2'), 'Below Expectation'),int('2'),if(equals(variables('Q2'), 'Issue'),int('1'),if(equals(variables('Q2'), 'Unknown'),int('0'),''))))))

Capture-321.png

if(equals(variables('Q3'), 'Oustanding'),int('5'),if(equals(variables('Q3'), 'Beyond Expectation'),int('4'),if(equals(variables('Q3'), 'Meets Expectation'),int('3'),if(equals(variables('Q3'), 'Below Expectation'),int('2'),if(equals(variables('Q3'), 'Issue'),int('1'),if(equals(variables('Q3'), 'Unknown'),int('0'),''))))))

Capture-322.png

div(add(add(variables('A1'), variables('A2')), variables('A3')), variables('Divider'))

If implemented as above for 3 questions it works. You would need to scale out to suit you.

If you have found my post helpful, please mark thumbs up.

If this post has solved your problem, please click "Accept as Solution".

Any other questions, just ask.

Thanks, Alan

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-zhos-msft
Level 10

Hi @dsFra ,

I am afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in Microsoft Flow currently.

According to your discription, first, we need get the 6 point, then transform the points into values.

However, in MS flow, we can only get the response details but not the form details.

Here is a similar idea you can vote with:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/Microsoft-Form-Return-form-details/idi-p/71336?advanc...

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Zhongys

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

dsFra

Thanks for your reply. But is there really no way?

I would just need to create some hard coded variable transformation: if the answer equals "Oustanding" then assign value "5", if "Beyond Expecation" assign "4" etc. In the end I need to compute an average and that's it.

I was trying to do this with an expression in the logic of "if(equals(...,"Outstanding),5,if(equals(...,"Beyond Expectation"),4, ... etc ... )). It didn't give me the right result, unfortunately, but maybe I had just a simple flaw in there.

Super User
Super User

Hi @dsFra 

This is possible but not straight forward.

I see where you are going with "if(equals(...,"Outstanding),5,if(equals(...,"Beyond Expectation"),4, ... etc ... ))" and what I propose below, may be able to further enhanced but here is a working example that has been tested and does provide the results you are looking for in a float so 1.5 is possible when averaging off the final compute.

Here is the form:Capture-316.png

Here is the FlowCapture-315.png

Here are the actions and expressions:Capture-317.png

Capture-319.png

if(equals(variables('Q1'), 'Oustanding'),int('5'),if(equals(variables('Q1'), 'Beyond Expectation'),int('4'),if(equals(variables('Q1'), 'Meets Expectation'),int('3'),if(equals(variables('Q1'), 'Below Expectation'),int('2'),if(equals(variables('Q1'), 'Issue'),int('1'),if(equals(variables('Q1'), 'Unknown'),int('0'),''))))))

Capture-320.png

if(equals(variables('Q2'), 'Oustanding'),int('5'),if(equals(variables('Q2'), 'Beyond Expectation'),int('4'),if(equals(variables('Q2'), 'Meets Expectation'),int('3'),if(equals(variables('Q2'), 'Below Expectation'),int('2'),if(equals(variables('Q2'), 'Issue'),int('1'),if(equals(variables('Q2'), 'Unknown'),int('0'),''))))))

Capture-321.png

if(equals(variables('Q3'), 'Oustanding'),int('5'),if(equals(variables('Q3'), 'Beyond Expectation'),int('4'),if(equals(variables('Q3'), 'Meets Expectation'),int('3'),if(equals(variables('Q3'), 'Below Expectation'),int('2'),if(equals(variables('Q3'), 'Issue'),int('1'),if(equals(variables('Q3'), 'Unknown'),int('0'),''))))))

Capture-322.png

div(add(add(variables('A1'), variables('A2')), variables('A3')), variables('Divider'))

If implemented as above for 3 questions it works. You would need to scale out to suit you.

If you have found my post helpful, please mark thumbs up.

If this post has solved your problem, please click "Accept as Solution".

Any other questions, just ask.

Thanks, Alan

Proud to be a Flownaut!

View solution in original post

dsFra

Works perfectly. Thanks a lot!

Super User
Super User

You’re most welcome.
Happy Flowing.
Thanks, Alan

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 174 members 5,666 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: