cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Djarano
Helper I
Helper I

How to create a Flow which stores Microsoft Forms answers in a common/separate folder

Hi all,

I've created a Microsoft Forms with some upload questions. The answers should be accessible for other colleagues within the organization. The default setting, which is not adjustable, will store the data on my personal OneDrive.

I want to create a flow that stores the answers and attachments, in OneDrive in a folder that is generally available by the organization instead of my personal folder. It should create a folder per respondent included the answers/attachments.

Regards,

Djarano

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jcook
Most Valuable Professional

Hi @Djarano 

Here is a POC I built for you:

My sample formMy sample form

This is a sample form that I have created, to simulate what you described 

My Flows Overview of all the actions - As normal you will want to use When a new response is submitted followed by a Get response details .

Flow OverviewFlow Overview

Step 1 - Use a Create file action

Folder Path - Use the Folder Icon to navigate to the Share Folder Customer.

Add the rest of the path manually. (This will create the folder structure for you if the path does not exist already)

File Name - Whatever you want the answers to be in

File Content - The answers from the Form (Not the attachments)

Step 1Step 1

Step 2 - Add a Parse JSON action

Content - Use the dynamic content for the Attachment question in the Form

Schema - {I Have pasted the Schema that you can use at the end of the steps}

Add a Apply to each loop

Output from previous step - Use the dynamic content from the Parse JSON

Step 2Step 2

Step 3 - Add a Get file content action

File - Use the id from the parse JSON dynamic content

Step 3Step 3

Step 4 - Add a Create file action

Folder Path - Do the same as Step 1, this time the flow will not create the folder structure because it already exists, we just want to add the Attachments here. NOTE: make sure the Folder Path is the EXACT same as Step 1   

File Name - use name from Parse JSON dynamic content

File Content - use the File content from Get file content dynamic content

Step 4Step 4

The Results is: 

Final OutputFinal Output

Here is the Schema to use for Parse JSON action:

{
    "type": "array",
    "items": {
        "type": "object",
        "properties": {
            "name": {
                "type": "string"
            },
            "link": {
            },
            "id": {
            },
            "type": {},
            "size": {
                "type": "integer"
            },
            "referenceId": {
            },
            "driveId": {
            },
            "status": {
            },
            "uploadSessionUrl": {}
        },
        "required": [
            "name",
            "link",
            "id",
            "type",
            "size",
            "referenceId",
            "driveId",
            "status",
            "uploadSessionUrl"
        ]
    }
}

If you have any questions let me know.

—Josh
If you like my post please hit the "Thumbs Up" -- If my post solved your issue please "Mark as a Solution" to help others

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

If you like my post please hit the Thumbs Up

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Check out my blog for Power Automate tips,
tricks, and guides
FlowAltDelete

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
Jcook

Hello,

May I ask why you are using OneDrive,
SharePoint might be a lot easier.
OneDrive will be linked to your account unless you can use a service account that will be used for storing the files on OneDrive.

The reason I think SharePoint is better for this, is because you can allow all users in org to be able to access and not have to worry about anything being tied directly to your account

—Josh
If you like my post please hit the "Thumbs Up" -- If my post solved your issue please "Mark as a Solution" to help others

Proud to be a Flownaut!

tricks, and guides
FlowAltDelete

Hi,

The reason why I use OneDrive is because it is mandatory by the organization. I think it is a organizational policy, which forced us that the respondents are automatically stored in my personal OneDrive. What is the solution to use SharePoint?

Other option is to keep it like this and give the specific people access to the folders where the answers are stored. Important thing here is that the Folder name should have the same name as the answer of the first question in Forms. It should store the answers per question and the attachments.

Jcook

Hi,

Well if you organization wants you to use OneDrive. Than yes you can have a main folder on your OneDrive that is shared to everyone and just have the flow create sub folders for the questions.

For SharePoint. All office365 groups should have a SharePoint site. Again though if you organization wants you to use a specific connector or process due to policies. I would follow them, unless you can persuade otherwise.

—Josh

Proud to be a Flownaut!

tricks, and guides
FlowAltDelete

Alright, so I will create a main folder: Customer, and by using Power Automate it automatically should create sub folders with a specific name. And a summary of the answers + attachments should be saved in the sub folder. 

In example:

• Customer
    • Customer 1 - Project x
      • Answers + attachment(s)
    • Customer 2 - Project y
    • Customer 3 - Project z

So it shoud look like the structure as showed above.

Could you help me building the flow in Power Automate?

Jcook

Hi @Djarano 

Here is a POC I built for you:

My sample formMy sample form

This is a sample form that I have created, to simulate what you described 

My Flows Overview of all the actions - As normal you will want to use When a new response is submitted followed by a Get response details .

Flow OverviewFlow Overview

Step 1 - Use a Create file action

Folder Path - Use the Folder Icon to navigate to the Share Folder Customer.

Add the rest of the path manually. (This will create the folder structure for you if the path does not exist already)

File Name - Whatever you want the answers to be in

File Content - The answers from the Form (Not the attachments)

Step 1Step 1

Step 2 - Add a Parse JSON action

Content - Use the dynamic content for the Attachment question in the Form

Schema - {I Have pasted the Schema that you can use at the end of the steps}

Add a Apply to each loop

Output from previous step - Use the dynamic content from the Parse JSON

Step 2Step 2

Step 3 - Add a Get file content action

File - Use the id from the parse JSON dynamic content

Step 3Step 3

Step 4 - Add a Create file action

Folder Path - Do the same as Step 1, this time the flow will not create the folder structure because it already exists, we just want to add the Attachments here. NOTE: make sure the Folder Path is the EXACT same as Step 1   

File Name - use name from Parse JSON dynamic content

File Content - use the File content from Get file content dynamic content

Step 4Step 4

The Results is: 

Final OutputFinal Output

Here is the Schema to use for Parse JSON action:

{
    "type": "array",
    "items": {
        "type": "object",
        "properties": {
            "name": {
            },
            "link": {
            },
            "id": {
            },
            "type": {},
            "size": {
            },
            "referenceId": {
            },
            "driveId": {
            },
            "status": {
            },
            "uploadSessionUrl": {}
        },
        "required": [
            "name",
            "link",
            "id",
            "type",
            "size",
            "referenceId",
            "driveId",
            "status",
            "uploadSessionUrl"
        ]
    }
}

If you have any questions let me know.

—Josh

Proud to be a Flownaut!

tricks, and guides
FlowAltDelete

Thank you

I can open the file, but the structure of the answers is not adequate. And i just see the answers, not the question anymore.

I prefer to see it like:

- Question 1 - Answer 1

- Question 2 - Answer 2

Possible to have a view where I can see the questions and the answers?

https://ibb.co/1r9whxN 

Hi,

Other issue i'm facing with is that it will upload only 1 file to OneDrive. For now i've two questions with the possibility to upload documents. So what i did, is that I add both questions (where you can upload documents) to the 'Content' rule on Parse JSON. See link: https://ibb.co/gdk2t7N 

Jcook

Hi,

So for the SharePoint file. You will want to add the extension to the end of the file name when creating the file.

For multiple files different questions you will have to follow steps again for each question that has a attachment.

—Josh

Proud to be a Flownaut!

tricks, and guides
FlowAltDelete

Hi,

1) So from which step/flow do you need to copy the flow for each attachment? so I can create a parallel branch

2) And how to structure the answers, I prefer to see it something like:

- Question 1 - Answer 1

- Question 2 - Answer 2

Hi @Jcook ,

i've created the second parallel flow for the 2nd attachment, so that's done! Thank you again.

Last thing is that i want to structure the way how the answers are presented. The file that now is created is not structured and the Questions are not visible, only the answers. Do you know if this is even possible?

Jcook

Hello,
unfortunately Flow cannot grab the question names from ms forms at this time.

You will have to hard code the question names in your file when creating.

—Josh

Proud to be a Flownaut!

tricks, and guides
FlowAltDelete

@Jcook,

Ok thanks!

1) Maybe other option is to create a URL in the file (or create new file with the URL), which redirects you to the answers in Forms, is that possible?

I prefer to have the following option, but not sure if this is possible. To send a copy of the excel file with the answers to the same folders as the attachments will be saved

https://ibb.co/19nH2Xt  

Jcook

Hello,

I have not seen anything regarding that. I don’t think Flow has this feature yet

—Josh

Proud to be a Flownaut!

tricks, and guides
FlowAltDelete

rsymmons
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi Djarano, 

I previously achieved exactly what you're trying to do here however you will need to purchase a Power Apps Plan 1 license in order to output the form data into a .docx file (a nice template document) or directly into an Excel spreadsheet using a table. Both options are very easy to achieve and Jcook has provided most of the flow needed to extract the files from MS Forms. I have a working version of this and the license upgrade is worth the investment (you can use this as a generic account as long as you build the forms and flow using the account you assign the license to). 

If you need help more help please don't hesitate to reach out! 

This is my flow:

populate document.png

Mine is slightly more complicated because we needed to build in an approval process. But you will need to create 2 branches for submissions that include files and others that don't otherwise the flow will fail. It's quite easy to build even for amateurs like myself. 

This is our template document:

template.png

Regards,

Rob

Hi @rsymmons 

Thanks for your reply.

Don't fully understand the flow, but I smell some possibilities.

Is it possible to use 'Create table' as a right trigger to export the answers. https://ibb.co/YDYdG3b 

Could you help me set up the flow which automatically exports the answers (and questions) into a structured table in Excel?

See also this post, but here every new answer will presented on a new row. I would like to have a new excel for each new answer.

You'd probably want to "Create workbook" and then "create table" for each submission. Have you started building out the flow with the JSON script Josh provided above? You'll need this to extract or do things with the files being uploaded. 

Hi @rsymmons ,

Yes the flow is almost done. All the uploaded files will be saved in a separate folder on OneDrive. Only the questions/answers are still not structured in a way that my colleagues can work with it.

The flow is currently as follow: https://ibb.co/Rv7Lycd

One JSON script for one questions with the possiblity to upload files.

Last thing is to 'Create Workbook' and then 'create table' and should be saved in the same folder as the attachments. Do I need to create them separately below each flow?

Jcook

Hello @Djarano

You can just create one action that creates the workbook. So the Parallel actions converge into one.

—Josh

Proud to be a Flownaut!

tricks, and guides
FlowAltDelete

Jcook

Hi @Djarano

If your issue has been solved regarding getting files out of MS forms to OneDrive.

Please Select the solution, this will help others find the answer to your original question.

If you have any other questions. Please open another post.

Thanks

—Josh

Proud to be a Flownaut!

tricks, and guides
FlowAltDelete

Helpful resources

Announcements

Exclusive LIVE Community Event: Power Apps Copilot Coffee Chat with Copilot Studio Product Team

It's time for the SECOND Power Apps Copilot Coffee Chat featuring the Copilot Studio product team, which will be held LIVE on April 3, 2024 at 9:30 AM Pacific Daylight Time (PDT).     This is an incredible opportunity to connect with members of the Copilot Studio product team and ask them anything about Copilot Studio. We'll share our special guests with you shortly--but we want to encourage to mark your calendars now because you will not want to miss the conversation.   This live event will give you the unique opportunity to learn more about Copilot Studio plans, where we’ll focus, and get insight into upcoming features. We’re looking forward to hearing from the community, so bring your questions!   TO GET ACCESS TO THIS EXCLUSIVE AMA: Kudo this post to reserve your spot! Reserve your spot now by kudoing this post.  Reservations will be prioritized on when your kudo for the post comes through, so don't wait! Click that "kudo button" today.   Invitations will be sent on April 2nd.Users posting Kudos after April 2nd at 9AM PDT may not receive an invitation but will be able to view the session online after conclusion of the event. Give your "kudo" today and mark your calendars for April 3, 2024 at 9:30 AM PDT and join us for an engaging and informative session!

Tuesday Tip: Unlocking Community Achievements and Earning Badges

TUESDAY TIPS are our way of communicating helpful things we've learned or shared that have helped members of the Community. Whether you're just getting started or you're a seasoned pro, Tuesday Tips will help you know where to go, what to look for, and navigate your way through the ever-growing--and ever-changing--world of the Power Platform Community! We cover basics about the Community, provide a few "insider tips" to make your experience even better, and share best practices gleaned from our most active community members and Super Users.   With so many new Community members joining us each week, we'll also review a few of our "best practices" so you know just "how" the Community works, so make sure to watch the News & Announcements each week for the latest and greatest Tuesday Tips!     THIS WEEK'S TIP: Unlocking Achievements and Earning BadgesAcross the Communities, you'll see badges on users profile that recognize and reward their engagement and contributions. These badges each signify a different achievement--and all of those achievements are available to any Community member! If you're a seasoned pro or just getting started, you too can earn badges for the great work you do. Check out some details on Community badges below--and find out more in the detailed link at the end of the article!       A Diverse Range of Badges to Collect The badges you can earn in the Community cover a wide array of activities, including: Kudos Received: Acknowledges the number of times a user’s post has been appreciated with a “Kudo.”Kudos Given: Highlights the user’s generosity in recognizing others’ contributions.Topics Created: Tracks the number of discussions initiated by a user.Solutions Provided: Celebrates the instances where a user’s response is marked as the correct solution.Reply: Counts the number of times a user has engaged with community discussions.Blog Contributor: Honors those who contribute valuable content and are invited to write for the community blog.       A Community Evolving Together Badges are not only a great way to recognize outstanding contributions of our amazing Community members--they are also a way to continue fostering a collaborative and supportive environment. As you continue to share your knowledge and assist each other these badges serve as a visual representation of your valuable contributions.   Find out more about badges in these Community Support pages in each Community: All About Community Badges - Power Apps CommunityAll About Community Badges - Power Automate CommunityAll About Community Badges - Copilot Studio CommunityAll About Community Badges - Power Pages Community

Tuesday Tips: Powering Up Your Community Profile

TUESDAY TIPS are our way of communicating helpful things we've learned or shared that have helped members of the Community. Whether you're just getting started or you're a seasoned pro, Tuesday Tips will help you know where to go, what to look for, and navigate your way through the ever-growing--and ever-changing--world of the Power Platform Community! We cover basics about the Community, provide a few "insider tips" to make your experience even better, and share best practices gleaned from our most active community members and Super Users.   With so many new Community members joining us each week, we'll also review a few of our "best practices" so you know just "how" the Community works, so make sure to watch the News & Announcements each week for the latest and greatest Tuesday Tips!   This Week's Tip: Power Up Your Profile!  🚀 It's where every Community member gets their start, and it's essential that you keep it updated! Your Community User Profile is how you're able to get messages, post solutions, ask questions--and as you rank up, it's where your badges will appear and how you'll be known when you start blogging in the Community Blog. Your Community User Profile is how the Community knows you--so it's essential that it works the way you need it to! From changing your username to updating contact information, this Knowledge Base Article is your best resource for powering up your profile.     Password Puzzles? No Problem! Find out how to sync your Azure AD password with your community account, ensuring a seamless sign-in. No separate passwords to remember! Job Jumps & Email Swaps Changed jobs? Got a new email? Fear not! You'll find out how to link your shiny new email to your existing community account, keeping your contributions and connections intact. Username Uncertainties Unraveled Picking the perfect username is crucial--and sometimes the original choice you signed up with doesn't fit as well as you may have thought. There's a quick way to request an update here--but remember, your username is your community identity, so choose wisely. "Need Admin Approval" Warning Window? If you see this error message while using the community, don't worry. A simple process will help you get where you need to go. If you still need assistance, find out how to contact your Community Support team. Whatever you're looking for, when it comes to your profile, the Community Account Support Knowledge Base article is your treasure trove of tips as you navigate the nuances of your Community Profile. It’s the ultimate resource for keeping your digital identity in tip-top shape while engaging with the Power Platform Community. So, dive in and power up your profile today!  💪🚀   Community Account Support | Power Apps Community Account Support | Power AutomateCommunity Account Support | Copilot Studio  Community Account Support | Power Pages

Super User of the Month | Chris Piasecki

In our 2nd installment of this new ongoing feature in the Community, we're thrilled to announce that Chris Piasecki is our Super User of the Month for March 2024. If you've been in the Community for a while, we're sure you've seen a comment or marked one of Chris' helpful tips as a solution--he's been a Super User for SEVEN consecutive seasons!   Since authoring his first reply in April 2020 to his most recent achievement organizing the Canadian Power Platform Summit this month, Chris has helped countless Community members with his insights and expertise. In addition to being a Super User, Chris is also a User Group leader, Microsoft MVP, and a featured speaker at the Microsoft Power Platform Conference. His contributions to the new SUIT program, along with his joyous personality and willingness to jump in and help so many members has made Chris a fixture in the Power Platform Community.   When Chris isn't authoring solutions or organizing events, he's actively leading Piasecki Consulting, specializing in solution architecture, integration, DevOps, and more--helping clients discover how to strategize and implement Microsoft's technology platforms. We are grateful for Chris' insightful help in the Community and look forward to even more amazing milestones as he continues to assist so many with his great tips, solutions--always with a smile and a great sense of humor.You can find Chris in the Community and on LinkedIn. Thanks for being such a SUPER user, Chris! 💪 🌠  

Find Out What Makes Super Users So Super

We know many of you visit the Power Platform Communities to ask questions and receive answers. But do you know that many of our best answers and solutions come from Community members who are super active, helping anyone who needs a little help getting unstuck with Business Applications products? We call these dedicated Community members Super Users because they are the real heroes in the Community, willing to jump in whenever they can to help! Maybe you've encountered them yourself and they've solved some of your biggest questions. Have you ever wondered, "Why?"We interviewed several of our Super Users to understand what drives them to help in the Community--and discover the difference it has made in their lives as well! Take a look in our gallery today: What Motivates a Super User? - Power Platform Community (microsoft.com)

March User Group Update: New Groups and Upcoming Events!

Welcome to this month’s celebration of our Community User Groups and exciting User Group events. We’re thrilled to introduce some brand-new user groups that have recently joined our vibrant community. Plus, we’ve got a lineup of engaging events you won’t want to miss. Let’s jump right in: New User Groups   Sacramento Power Platform GroupANZ Power Platform COE User GroupPower Platform MongoliaPower Platform User Group OmanPower Platform User Group Delta StateMid Michigan Power Platform Upcoming Events  DUG4MFG - Quarterly Meetup - Microsoft Demand PlanningDate: 19 Mar 2024 | 10:30 AM to 12:30 PM Central America Standard TimeDescription: Dive into the world of manufacturing with a focus on Demand Planning. Learn from industry experts and share your insights. Dynamics User Group HoustonDate: 07 Mar 2024 | 11:00 AM to 01:00 PM Central America Standard TimeDescription: Houston, get ready for an immersive session on Dynamics 365 and the Power Platform. Connect with fellow professionals and expand your knowledge. Reading Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Group (Q1)Date: 05 Mar 2024 | 06:00 PM to 09:00 PM GMT Standard TimeDescription: Join our virtual meetup for insightful discussions, demos, and community updates. Let’s kick off Q1 with a bang! Leaders, Create Your Events!  Leaders of existing User Groups, don’t forget to create your events within the Community platform. By doing so, you’ll enable us to share them in future posts and newsletters. Let’s spread the word and make these gatherings even more impactful! Stay tuned for more updates, inspiring stories, and collaborative opportunities from and for our Community User Groups.   P.S. Have an event or success story to share? Reach out to us – we’d love to feature you!

Users online (4,898)