cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to creating a flow with Power Automate to extract the information based on the email content

I want to create a SharePoint Online (Office 365) survey based on the information from emails.  But SharePoint Online survey cannot extract the information and create survey based on the emails. It seems that this can be achieved by creating a workflow with Microsoft Automate. As some uses can create new SharePoint list or list items when they receive an email. Then the workflow can extract the information based on the email content and create. I would like to know more about creating a flow with Power Automate. Any advice are really appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: How to creating a flow with Power Automate to extract the information based on the email content

@Anonymous - I think there is additional information missing here. Do all the emails have a consistent body message? Or, are they all different/unique? 

If they are all consistent, you could possibly parse the text from the email body to translate it into your needs (Parserr comes to mind - and there is a connector for Parserr and Power Automate). Then, you can take the parsed output to the Power Automate steps.

Another option to explore is Microsoft Forms Pro. It has triggers that can be built to send out the surveys. It integrates with other systems (obviously the Power Platform). You can then use Power Automate with Microsoft Forms Pro to automate whatever actions you need.

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to creating a flow with Power Automate to extract the information based on the email content

Hi PowerBack19, thank you very much. Actually, the subject line are not exactly consistent. For example, one is " HB Psy referral, Jeff, ID12345, efile", the other is " MB Review, Plan12, 23456, E-file", what I want to extract is ID # into the survey or form, i.e. 12345 ( first example) and 23456 ( second example). Is there a way to do get them with Power Automate? 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hi @Anonymous ,

If your ID is always at number 3 position, what you can do is use Split function with separator as ",". Then get the value in array and fetch the value.

If you want to see how this would work, take a look at my response on thread below.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Flows/Format-string-to-date-time-format/m-p/485215/highlight/true#M59625

Based on examples provided below, it would fetch "ID12345" and "23456". If you don't need ID in first case, you can replace using string functions.

Thanks,

Satish Panwar

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Satish, 

Thanks. My ID number mostly in 3 position, but not absolute; also, I read the thread you posted before, it is for retrieving and parsing JSON that has a date/time in a string, seems not as what I am looking for. Would you provide more general approach or suggestion on my case?  - J

Highlighted

@Anonymous - The reason for asking the additional question is that you can set up Trigger Conditions so that the flow doesn't run every time an email comes in (again, I'm not sure what you are monitoring to trigger the flow).

With Trigger Conditions, you can specify when the flow runs. Here is an article with more on this topic: https://www.timlinenterprises.com/microsoft-power-automate-flow-trigger-conditions/

If the subject line and/or email body were consistent, you could feed this to the Trigger Condition. Otherwise, the flow will have to run on every email and will need a Check Condition to continue the flow or terminate it. The issue with this approach is that you could eat up your flow capacity quickly if you aren't careful. Check out this article for information on API request limits: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/api-request-limits-allocations#microsoft-power-platform-requests-allocations-based-on-licenses

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Now Live: Power Virtual Agents Community!

We are excited to announce the launch of Power Virtual Agents Community. Check it out now!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (8,360)