cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gopal_Tiwari

How to enable a workflow user to select one or multiple users from a specific SharePoint Groups (Not to everyone) as workflow approvers?

Hello, I am trying to create a Workflow on a SharePoint online list.  I have a workflow requirement where Flow end user should be able to choose/select approvers (one or multiple users) from a specific SharePoint Group of the site but we don't want ALL members of SharePoint group as approvers.

User should be able to select one or more users from the SharePoint group and trigger the workflow process and workflow task notification emails should be sent to only the selected users from the SharePoint group and also workflow tasks should be created for the same selected users.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
ScottShearer
Super User
Super User

@Gopal_Tiwari 

This is a built-in SharePoint feature.  A person or Group column can be configured to allow the selection only of people in a specified SharePoint group.  Go to list settings and then click on the person or group column name to configure.  You will need to create a SharePoint group that contains only the approvers for this to work.

image.png

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott
Gopal_Tiwari

@ScottShearer Thank you so much for your response. I am bit new to Power Automate so please bear with me.

If I create a new list column as suggested by you so does user needs to specify the approvers while creating the list item itself OR  I can use this column while designing the flow so user(s) can select approvers dynamically while triggering the flow?  

Please help me how can I use this column you have suggested while designing the flow.

@Gopal_Tiwari 

In my solution, users will select an approver while creating the list item.

Scott
Gopal_Tiwari

@ScottShearer - Thank you for clarification.  Your solution would work surely well when user can specify the approvers while creating item itself but that would be like hardcoding the approvers.

I was looking for a way so when user is triggering the flow, user should be able to use People picker control to select the user(s) from the SharePoint group dynamically rather than pre-entered values in the list item itself.

I know about two possible solutions but both somehow don't work for me: 

1. I can provide flow user a way to select 'users' from across organization (as approvers) but this does not work for me as I want user to select users from only specific SharePoint group.

2. I can query 'All' users from specific SharePoint groups and create workflow tasks for 'All' users of that SP group. but, I don't want 'all' users from group as approvers.

any other thoughts or ideas?

@Gopal_Tiwari 

I am not aware of any way to select a user other than from a static dropdown list when a Flow is started.  This would use a "for a selected item" trigger.

Another way to start the Flow would be from a "When an item is created or modified" trigger.  If a user populates the approver column, the Flow will run - you can use a trigger filter for this or just a condition immediately after your trigger.

Finally, you might consider customizing the SharePoint forms with Power Apps - you might be able to find a way to meet your requirement in this manner.

Scott

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

New Ideas Forum MPA.jpg

A new place to submit your Ideas for Power Automate

Announcing a new way to share your feedback with the Power Automate Team.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

MPA Licensing.jpg

Ask your licensing questions at the Power Automate AMA!

Join Priya Kodukula and the licensing team, super users and MVPs to find answers to your questions on Power Automate licensing.

Users online (3,285)