cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
annijamit
Level: Powered On

How to format a component within flow when writing an email?

Hi all,

I have made a flow that sends an e-mail when a new response is submitted (after filling a forms survey).

Is there any way to format the content of the survey, not only the e-mails text? 

For example, a survey field was filled with bulletpoints and enters (respectively, the text is in multiple lines), but the flow removes all the formatting and just sends the text in one big bulk, instead of using the same formatting as the person did when filling in the survey. You can even see in the forms dataset table, that a  certain long-text response is with various "enters" and text started in new lines, but that does not show in the e-mail.

Thanks, 
Annija

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Krishna92
Level 8

Re: How to format a component within flow when writing an email?

@annijamit 

There are many tags that you can use in the HTML.

Let's say you want to create bullet points that you can use the tags <ul> and <li>

<ul> represent start of the Bullet point and you can put each point that you want inside the <li> tag

For example

<ul>

<li> This is point 1 </li>

<li> This is point 2</li>

</ul>

You can use something as above for formatting bullet points and there are many other tags available for different kinds of formatting.

You can use the </br> tag for spaces

You can surf around the web for checking information related to the tags and surely you will find much information with examples on the same.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
leyburn19
Level 10

can we get a screen shot of the survey question

Highlighted
Krishna92
Level 8

@annijamit 

flow will not take out the format of the data from the source.

It will just extract the text. If you want to format the data again. you can use HTML tags in the send email action.

You can use HTML tags for creating a bullet list and then format the data inside the tags.

I'm sorry to inform that for now in flow there is no option to directly extract the data how it is entered in the forms.

If this information helps you, please hit the like button and mark the solution as resolved, so that it will help other users in future.

annijamit

Hello!

Thanks for the input and the response.

Do you mind sharing some html code on how to format the exacted text from the source/question? 

annijamit

Sure, currently it looks like this.

what I am interested in is how to format the text in the item I retrieve from flows. so i have the meeting minutes in bullets, rather than having a large and long text without any spacing. Thanks!Anotācija 2019-12-03 104811.png

Krishna92
Level 8

@annijamit 

There are many tags that you can use in the HTML.

Let's say you want to create bullet points that you can use the tags <ul> and <li>

<ul> represent start of the Bullet point and you can put each point that you want inside the <li> tag

For example

<ul>

<li> This is point 1 </li>

<li> This is point 2</li>

</ul>

You can use something as above for formatting bullet points and there are many other tags available for different kinds of formatting.

You can use the </br> tag for spaces

You can surf around the web for checking information related to the tags and surely you will find much information with examples on the same.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @annijamit ,

Have your problem be solved according to my solution?  If yes, please go ahead and mark the post as solved by clicking “Accept as Solution” so that this thread will be marked for other users to easily identify!

Best Regards,

Alice

Community Support Team _ Alice Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

annijamit

Hi, sorry for the late reply.

I am not sure I understood correctly. 

If I write the code within the survey, will I get the text in bullets? what I am talking about here is not the default text in the emails, but the one within the green boxes that you retreive from the survey (if you look at the image).

Thanks,

Annija

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,269)