cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to generate a PDF from Microsoft Forms and get it sent to an email address

Hi guys,

Does someone know the flow to generate a PDF file from a Microsoft Forms form's responses and get that file sent to an email?

14 REPLIES 14
v-bacao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

You could use OneDrive-Create file to generate a pdf file with the file name suffix ".pdf".

Then use Get file content to get the file content and send it as an attachment to the message.

You could consider configuring Delete file action at the end, because the process of creating file is just a transition here, you could delete the previously created file.

I have made a test on my side and the flow works well.

Image reference:

15.PNG16.PNG

The contents of the attachment are as follows:

17.PNG

Please take a try.

Best Regards,

Barry

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

I have a problem with this soluition. I exectly build it like you did. But everytime I recieve the E-Mail it is only 1kb big and it is not possible to open it with Adobe Acrobat Reader or the browser. Do you know what the problem could be?

Anonymous
Not applicable

This solution didn't work for me, either, but I used it as a starting point for one that ultimately did. Rather than making the pdf with the "Create File" function, which wasn't able to generate a properly encoded PDF for me, I had it create an HTML file instead. That way I was able to format everyhting exatly the way I wanted using CSS. After that, I used the "Convert File Using Path" function to convert it to a PDF and attach it. That was able to make a pdf that opened fine in Acrobat reader, although at times it didn't play nicely with previewing in Outlook.

ciao, can you post the solution with screenshot.. i have the same problem and i cannot create pdf from microsoft forms

thank you.

Jay-Encodian
Community Champion
Community Champion

This may be of interest... provides some detailed steps/ guidance: https://blog.encodian.com/2019/08/building-word-documents-from-microsoft-forms-responses/

To convert to PDF, simple use the 'Convert HTML to PDF' rather than the 'Convert HTML to Word' action

HTH

Jay

Can you please share with me how you made the CSS work ? I have tried but it does not apply the CSS rules. It even removes some text formatted with CSS.

@cheickdiallo 

I assume you're using the OneDrive approach? The OneDrive connector doesn't provide full CSS support... can you share your HTML and I'll take a look

HTH

Jay

Do you have a screenshot for your flow, you can provide for this?

AndyElliott

I've done it a slightly different way. Not very sophisticated but it's worked for me.

I completed my form myself.

Then I went back in and went to review it and then selected print response.

Rather than print, I saved it as a PDF

Annoyingly, this gives you all the answers so I then had to highlight all, copy and paste into word and then go through and delete the irrelevant info before re-saving it.  

CFernandes
Super User III
Super User III

You can use Muhimbi PDF Converter to Convert responses from Microsoft Form to PDF - For details see: https://clavinfernandes.wordpress.com/2019/01/29/convert-response-from-microsoft-form-to-pdf/

Muhimbi PDF Converter also support Print Specific CSS, so you can also create\mimic you form layout, for details see: https://clavinfernandes.wordpress.com/2020/08/04/convert-microsoft-forms-responses-to-pdf-using-powe...

shanebart
Regular Visitor

You can also do this using the out-of-the-box OneDrive connector, without the need for any third-party connectors in your Power Automate workflow.

The OneDrive connector allows you to create a HTML file containing your MS Forms responses and then convert it to PDF.

3hg45hgh435h43-1.png

If you want more info, the steps are documented in more detail at the below link.

https://www.shanebart.com/power-automate-send-pdf-email/

NiallofService

1. CTRL + P to open the Printer dialog box.

2. Scroll left in the "Select Printer" window and select "Microsoft Print to PDF".

3. Click Print.

4. Type the filename.

5. Save

AnjelikaCh
Helper I
Helper I

Hi everyone,

it seems to me that Convert Microsoft Forms to PDF or Create a PDF file from Microsoft Forms responses are quite wide-spread issues. There is one more way how to do that with the help of the Plumsail Documents connector for Power Automate Flow. 

There are detailed instructions for various scenarios on the Plumsail site:

1) Create PDF Documents from Microsoft Forms in Power Automate

2) Convert Microsoft Forms with attachments to PDF in Power Automate

Note: this is a paid solution. But there is a free one-month trial.

Hi, I am trying this but whenever I run the flow, it errors saying that the file content cannot be null or empty. Any idea what is causing that? I followed your guide on your link.

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

PowerPlatform 768x460.png

Microsoft Learn

Check out our new Discover Your Career Path blog post series and get all the details.

Users online (2,292)