cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ankit77
Helper I
Helper I

How to get string before a character appearing multiple times in power automate

I have this string and I need to get the first character before my date value start. so for example if I have name as ZXDER_20201209220430Z I need ZXDER, if I have ZXDDFR_IUT_23_20201209220430Z I need ZXDDFR_IUT_23. How do I do this once in Power automate. My value after last underscore will always be date value.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@Ankit77 

You can use below expression for that

substring(outputs('Compose'),lastIndexOf(outputs('Compose'),'_'),length(outputs('Compose')))

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if the information shared helps you, please consider giving a thumbs up and mark solution as resolved

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Gopala_Krishna
Super User
Super User

@Ankit77 

You can achieve this using below expression in power automate

substring(outputs('Compose'),0,lastIndexOf(outputs('Compose'),'_'))

Replace the outputs('Compose') to the action from where you are fetching the data.

For my example I have taken the sentence how_are_you and stored it in compose action.

Gopala_Krishna_0-1614605665171.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if the information shared helps you, please consider giving a thumbs up and mark solution as resolved

@Gopala_Krishna great!!! and what if we need the date part, i.e. the value after last "_"

@Ankit77 

You can use below expression for that

substring(outputs('Compose'),lastIndexOf(outputs('Compose'),'_'),length(outputs('Compose')))

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

secondImage

Are Your Ready?

Test your skills now with the Cloud Skill Challenge.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (38,432)