Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scheu
Microsoft
Microsoft

How to get the URL of a Azure DevOps work item created in Flows

Hi,

I use 'Azure DevOps' to create a work item in Flows.  

How can I get URL of the work item which gets created?

When I try the 'URL' dynamic content, I only get a url to the json data for the task created, not the URL of the HTML page of the task.

13 REPLIES 13

Hi @scheu 

I just made a test on my side and it works just fine: hsha.png

Can you please post a screenshot of what you are getting? Having a look at that will help better understand the error/ issue and assist you better in resolving it. 

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

I also use 'URL' of the 'Work item' i created in Azure DevOps.

And this is the output that I got

https://office.visualstudio.com/_apis/wit/workItems/3451399

When I load the above link in browser, i got JSON date, instead of the HTML page for the work item I created.

Hi @scheu 

That is weird! I got the appropriate url that navigates me to the work item. Can you please post a screenshot of your flow so that we can see the configuration and better assist you?

Hey @scheu 

I got the issue here. My apologies that I did not have a look at it earlier. So I browsed the URL and to my surprise it returened huge JSON of everything on that particular work item that i did not want. 

So what I did is, I went to the work item in the Azure DevOps and copied that URL 

https://dev.azure.com/user10962/user1/_workitems/edit/6/

In my case it was this and here user10962 is the account name and the user1 is the project name. I used this url and got rid of the id '6' in this case and intialised a variable of type string after the create item and  then put that entire string upto edit/ and after the slash i chose the ID from the dynamic selector to get the ID. This would return the URL to go to the work item HTML page. 

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

Hi @scheu 

Did you get a chance to implement the solution that I suggested? Were you able to resolve?

If this question/issue is resolved, please mark the appropriate replies as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

Hello,

I have the same issue and couldnt quite understand the solution you proposed. Do you mind sharing some screenshots or expressions?

ToKleine

Hi there,

to answer the question, this is how I implemented the propsed solution. For me it works fine. Apologies for blocking out the rest of the link. Just use your own base-url from ADO and replace the ID at the end with the Dynamic Field "ID". Also sorry for German interface, but it should work the same.

image.pngLet me know if this solves your problem and consider marking it as solved.

ty!!

AP123
Microsoft
Microsoft

Im sorry, The above solution in Description will not hyperlink it isnt it?

ToKleine

Hi @AP123 ,

for the hyperlink appears and directs me to Azure DevOps.

ok Thanks

Hi @yashag2255 , 

I just tried your solution but the flow is not letting me to use the operation "Initialize variable" as it says the following message:

Bala_Ji_0-1632207918977.png

Not sure what's causing the above issue.

What I am trying to achieve out my flow is, I want to attach the newly created work item URL to the reply email that I set in my flow. but when I use the "URL" from  Create a work item, it results only the JSON. Please see below screenshots:

Bala_Ji_2-1632208428475.png

Reply email triggered by flow:

Bala_Ji_6-1632209148969.png

Result after I click the URL:

Bala_Ji_5-1632209094189.png

any solution to achieve my idea would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

osazip
Microsoft
Microsoft

Had a similar problem, and might be just internal folks or the way that the server is setup.  The URL field will take you to a JSON output. To get around it, as some of the replies referenced is to use the "Id" of the ADO Work item it created in the previous step, not the URL.

In your message/action where you want to supply the URL, manually enter the correct URL, and just append the "ID" after the last /

e.g.: 

osazip_0-1637915237441.png

So the resulting item in the message would be https://dev.azure.com/{ADO Site}/_workitems/edit/593

You can get the full, correct URL by visiting a work item that's already been created and copy that.

If you don't see "Id" in the dynamic fields, try searching for it, it should be in there if the action step was [Azure DevOps] "Create Work Item"

More info about initializing the variables (they should be at the top) here 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDRzgl9JysU&t=3s

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

New Ideas Forum MPA.jpg

A new place to submit your Ideas for Power Automate

Announcing a new way to share your feedback with the Power Automate Team.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

MPA Licensing.jpg

Ask your licensing questions at the Power Automate AMA!

Join Priya Kodukula and the licensing team, super users and MVPs to find answers to your questions on Power Automate licensing.

Users online (5,666)