Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Eric6
Advocate II
Advocate II

How to record proof of an approval?

Hi,

In my organization I've created an approval flow with several steps of successive approvals.

How can I record evidence of the approval for future audit?

Before, without using flow, I would have saved the approval emails received. However, with flow the response is not in the form of an email, of course.

I'm thinking about recording the approver email and the time stamp in a SharePoint list. However, this really only proves that my flow marked something as approved. It does not show any evidence that this was triggered by the correct approver from their account...

Best regards,

Eric

3 REPLIES 3
nbuttery
Frequent Visitor

It depends! There are many ways to do this:-

Is the data your users are approving in a SP list or library?

If in a library, do you have Content Approval switched on? (You can intercept this with Flow)

Are you using the actual 'Start & wait for an approval' action in PA? If you are then an audit would pass. Because even if your system account is recording the results in a list, you can prove that 'Bob' hit the approve button along with time and date.

Hi @nbuttery ,

Thanks. If there are many ways, I hope I find one that fits.

My data is in the form of a SharePoint list (with attachments), not a library. So the content approval does not apply, I suppose.

However, I am using the "Start and wait for an approval" action for all the approvals which should then enable the second idea you had.

How can I prove that "Bob" hit the button? The flow runs get deleted after 30 days... You mean I just save the email address and time in a list that only takes input from my flow and is secured against any other input? I think that could work... Of course, it would be more impressive to prove that Bob was logged in with a particular IP address or something. It's not so impressive to just save the email address of the approver in a list. After all, I need the email address to request the approval in the first place.

nbuttery
Frequent Visitor

Actually you can turn on content approval in a list as well.
It's in versioning just like a library and you can intercept with PA the same way.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

New Ideas Forum MPA.jpg

A new place to submit your Ideas for Power Automate

Announcing a new way to share your feedback with the Power Automate Team.

Carousel_PP_768x460_Wave2 (1).png

2022 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2022 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2022 through March 2023.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

365 EduCon 768x460.png

Microsoft 365 EduCon

Join us for two optional days of workshops and a 3-day conference, you can choose from over 130 sessions in multiple tracks and 25 workshops.

Users online (5,384)