cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SPNinja8345
Regular Visitor

How to send emails to users from a SharePoint Group which has more than 300+ users

I have created a Power Automate which sends emails to users in a Sharepoint group, this group contains more than 300+  Users. The flow runs successfully without any error but does not send the email not more than 200 users are added to the “To:“ and or “CC:” fields. Is there a limitation on the number of mail recipients when using the SP action, Send an HTTP request to SharePoint?

Additional Information:

I have tested with smaller groups, recreated the test group, and tried initializing the group as a variable.

• Small groups (less than 200) – works correctly
  • Recreated group (209 ) -email does not send
  • Variable – email sends but the “To” field is empty (only sends to cc’ed users)

So my main question is how to send emails notifications to users from SharePoint Group if the group contains more than 300+ users? Any alternative solutions ? (I don't want to add the users to a list and query the list to send emails)

Thank you in advance 🙂

@RezaDorrani @ShaneYoung 

12 REPLIES 12
alaabitar
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hello,

Are you adding the users of the group in the To field or are you just sending an email to the group alias ?

Best regards,

Alaa

@alaabitar  I am adding the users from the SP group to send the email

hemrhk
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

@SPNinja8345 

Are you retrieving the users from the group and passing it to the Email action or directly passing sharepoint group to Email action.

Can you explain how are you doing it.

alaabitar
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Then why don't you try just to send an email to the group alias, like that you have only one recipient in the email.

@hemrhk Yes, I am retrieving the users from the group and passing it to the Email action, for sending email action I am using SharePoint HTTP action

@alaabitar  I am using SharePoint HTTP action to send emails. Can I use the SP group directly in the To field to send emails?
The SP group which I am using contains more than 300+ users, Can the flow send emails to 300+ users in a single instance?

Hi @SPNinja8345,

why didn't you try to send an email to the group alias address to answer your own Q: "Can the flow send emails to 300+ users in a single instance"?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Contact me if you are interested in custom Power Automate development.
hemrhk
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

@SPNinja8345 

/_api/web/sitegroups/getbyname('365 Stack Owners')/users?$top=1000

Can you try with the top count to retrieve more than 200 users

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

If it solved your problem give a kudo and accept it as a solution. 

Follow and Subscribe 365 Stack for more updates. 

@VictorIvanidze  Can you share an example of how to send an email to the group alias address?

Hi @SPNinja8345,

my bad - I forgot that Sharepoint groups do not have email addresses.

Can you use Office 365 group intead?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@VictorIvanidze  No. Unfortunately, I can't use Office 365 group.
Post if any alternative solutions as well

VictorIvanidze
Community Champion
Community Champion

A distribution list?

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Power automate tips 768x460 v2.png

Restore a Deleted Flow

Did you know that you could restore a deleted flow? Check out this helpful article.

Microsoft Build 768x460.png

Microsoft Build is May 24-26. Have you registered yet?

Come together to explore latest innovations in code and application development—and gain insights from experts from around the world.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

What difference can a User Group make for you?

At the monthly call, connect with other leaders and find out how community makes your experience even better.

Users online (3,024)