cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to update an item in a SharePoint list base on the changes from another SharePoint List?

Hi I am new to MS Flow but very enthusiastic. I have created two custom lists in office 365 SharePoint almost exact copies of each other. The first list contains high level problem statements the second list is an action tracker. What I would like to happen is when the "Status" field is changed from "New Item" to "Reviewed", the second list will be auto populated with the Id and Short Description fields. Sounds simple but only when you are in the know.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Prob State.JPG

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
jaylou
Level 8

Re: How to update an item in a SharePoint list base on the changes from another SharePoint List?

Hi Billy,

You just set a condition on your original list and on the yes of the condition you add a create Item task 

Hope this helps,

Joe

CreateItemFLow.jpg

View solution in original post

Super User
Super User

Re: How to update an item in a SharePoint list base on the changes from another SharePoint List?

@Anonymous:

I agree with @jaylou but would like to add that you might want to set some type of a flag in the source list to indicate that the task list has already been populated.  Otherwise, you could end up with multiple entries in the task list if the source list is updated before the status is changed again.

By a flag, I mean a column that you set to indicate that the task has been created - usually a yes/no column.  For example, at the top of your Flow, check the value of your flag.  If it is set to yes (default is no), exit the Flow.  Otherwise, continue.  When you create the task, set the value of the flag to yes.

If you need an example, let me know.

Scott

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

Administrator
Administrator

Hello, @Anonymous!

Thank you for posting on the Flow Community Forum! Have you had an opportunity to apply @ScottShearer‘s recommendation to adapt your Flow? If yes, and you find that solution to be satisfactory, please go ahead and click “Accept as Solution” so that this thread will be marked for other users to easily identify!

Thank you for being an active member of the Flow Community!

-Gabriel
Flow Community Manager

-Gabriel
Microsoft Power Automate Community Manager
Are YOU a member of your local Power Automate User Group?
Fill out This Form to claim your Community User Group Member Badge!

3 REPLIES 3
jaylou
Level 8

Hi Billy,

You just set a condition on your original list and on the yes of the condition you add a create Item task 

Hope this helps,

Joe

CreateItemFLow.jpg

Super User
Super User

@Anonymous:

I agree with @jaylou but would like to add that you might want to set some type of a flag in the source list to indicate that the task list has already been populated.  Otherwise, you could end up with multiple entries in the task list if the source list is updated before the status is changed again.

By a flag, I mean a column that you set to indicate that the task has been created - usually a yes/no column.  For example, at the top of your Flow, check the value of your flag.  If it is set to yes (default is no), exit the Flow.  Otherwise, continue.  When you create the task, set the value of the flag to yes.

If you need an example, let me know.

Scott

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

Administrator
Administrator

Hello, @Anonymous!

Thank you for posting on the Flow Community Forum! Have you had an opportunity to apply @ScottShearer‘s recommendation to adapt your Flow? If yes, and you find that solution to be satisfactory, please go ahead and click “Accept as Solution” so that this thread will be marked for other users to easily identify!

Thank you for being an active member of the Flow Community!

-Gabriel
Flow Community Manager

-Gabriel
Microsoft Power Automate Community Manager
Are YOU a member of your local Power Automate User Group?
Fill out This Form to claim your Community User Group Member Badge!

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 159 members 5,288 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: