cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Sru
Level 8

Hyperlinks inside share point rich text fields break when used in body of an email in flow

Hyperlinks from rich text field breaks as sharepoint urls are relative urls . Is there a solution for this ?

i am trying to read email body content from a sharepoint rich text field( Enhanced rich text field).

Thanks,

Sru

7 REPLIES 7
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Hyperlinks inside share point rich text fields break when used in body of an email in flow

Hi @Sru,

Could you please share a screenshot of your flow's configuration?

Could you please share more details about your issue?

Further, could you please show a bit more about the rich text field that you mentioned? Is it the Multiple lines of text type column in your SharePoint list?

I have made a test on my side and don't have the issue that you mentioned. I have created a SharePoint list on my side and the data structure of it as below:4.JPG

Note: The HyperlinksFromRich column is a Multiple lines of text type column which enables Enhanced rich text option in my SharePoint list.

Please take a try with the following workaround:3.JPGWithin the "Send an email" action, the Is HTML field set to Yes.

When I input a hyperlink within the HyperlinksFromRich column in my SharePoint list, the flow works successfully as below:5.JPG

6.JPG

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Sru
Level 8

Re: Hyperlinks inside share point rich text fields break when used in body of an email in flow

hi @v-xida-msft

can you please try to add a link pointing to a sharepoint site in the rich text column ?

Please find attached screen shots for the same.

IPr1.PNGadd link via Link option to a sharepoint siteipr2.PNGrich text field with enhanced rich text optionipr3.PNGflow configuration

ipr4.PNGipr6.PNG

Sru
Level 8

hi @v-xida-msftcan

can you please let me know if you are facing teh same issue or if you have a workaround for this?

Thanks,
Sru

Sru
Level 8

hi @v-xida-msftcan

can you please let me know if you are facing teh same issue or if you have a workaround for this?

Thanks,
Sru

Administrator
Administrator

Hey, @Sru!

Thank you for posting on the Flow Community Forum! It appears as though @v-xida-msft would like some more information in order to further assist you properly with your issue. Please share any additional information that was requested in order to decrease the amount of time that it will take for you to be assisted!

Thank you for being an active member of the Flow Community!

-Gabriel
Flow Community Manager

-Gabriel
Microsoft Power Automate Community Manager
Are YOU a member of your local Power Automate User Group?
Fill out This Form to claim your Community User Group Member Badge!
Sru
Level 8

hi @GabrielStJohn,

I shared the screen shots and flow configurations in the same thread. after which i have not got any update.

Let me know if you need any additional info.

Thanks,

Sru

Sparrowhawk
Level: Powered On

@GabrielStJohn Your guy got the info he needed from @Sru . His initial response showed that he didn't understand the issue and did not end with him asking for any more information. There's a difference between a hyperlink and a url. A hyperlink is a URL that is clickable and displays alternate text.

The problem is that the enhanced rich text column in SharePoint is taking URLs that are entered, even the ones with the FULL URL included, for example: https://tenant.sharepoint.com/teams/site/subsite/page.aspx and turning them to /teams/site/subsite/page.aspx. If you click something with that second one as a target URL from *inside* sharepoint it works fine, but if you use that enhanced rich text column containing the formatted hyperlink as the body of an email, it seems there is no way to STOP it from stripping out the first part of the URL, so what you end up with is an email that is telling people to click a link that points to an invalid url. The fact that the original poster is using Flow isn't the issue. The issue is with the way SharePoint is messing with url's entered into an enhanced rich text column.

I've been looking around online for a while now today to try to find a way to get around this, and aside from just putting the full url right there in the email (ugly) or using tinyurl or bit.ly to get an alternate url (can make users think it is a suspicious url and means the url is stored on a third party service) I am coming up with *nothing*. I've got an entire list of custom email dates like this that I only recently discovered has this issue.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,002)