cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resolver II
Resolver II

I have a PowerApp solution that writes information to a data source using shared Flow

I have a PowerApp solution that writes information to a data source for a survey to be sent.  I have a Flow that is triggered when a new record is written to the data source.  In that flow it sends an e-mail constructed from the data elements of the data source.  That all is working as expected.

Question:  How do I have the connection to Outlook or Office365 use the credentials of the person running the PowerApp rather than my credentials associated with the shared flow?  There is a community of users using the PowerApp but all the survey e-mails appear to be coming from me rather than the PowerApp user.

Thanks - 

Tom.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: I have a PowerApp solution that writes information to a data source using shared Flow

Hi @TGrounds,

Having the connection to Outlook or Office365 use the credentials of the person running the PowerApp rather than my credentials associated with the shared flow is not supported in microsoft flow currently.

The connection account always the creator or the flow,so the survey e-mails appear to be coming from the creator of the flow rather than the PowerApp user.

If you want the survey e-mails to be coming from the PowerApp user,

I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in Microsoft Flow currently.

If you would like this feature to be added in Microsoft Flow, please submit an idea to Flow Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

Best regards,

Alice

Highlighted
Resolver II
Resolver II

Re: I have a PowerApp solution that writes information to a data source using shared Flow

Thanks Alice. Then I guess creating a generic account may be what I need to do. Or do a send e-mail from PowerApps that uses the users credentials may be a better implementation. This is intended to be invisible, behind the scenes function to the PowerApp users.

Thanks!
Highlighted
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi Alice - 

To give a bit of context for the use of this feature - as a CSM we conduct various workshops with our customers - these workshops include various standard surveys that are used.  This PowerApp is removing the administrivia activities of sending them out and gathering the results by automating them from within a facilitation page within the PowerApp.  The CSM (user) pulls up the survey page and click the 'Send Survey' button for each of the participants while in the workshop session - the participants complete the survey and the use clicks a 'refresh' button on the PowerApp form to display the results in real-time.  This is why I would like for the outbound e-mail to be send from the user(CSM).  

The process is as follows:

1. From within the PowerApp - the user navigates to a menu that is a survey - within that screen is a listing of participants in a gallery.  The user clicks on the 'Mail' icon and a record is written to a table with the URL to the survey, the e-mail address of the participant, the salutation and the identifying data element 'Success Engagement'
  2. A flow is monitoring the creation of the record in the table and triggers the sending of the e-mail - within the e-mail it places the link to the survey as well as the 'Success Engagemen't name - then the flow comes back to the table and blanks out the e-mail address and the salutation (for GDPR compliance) - also in the table is the user that created the record - this is the user I would like the e-mail to be addressed from.
  3. The participant receives the e-mail with the link to the survey and the Success Engagement name with the instructions to copy that value into the first question of the survey (This is the part I would like to be able to pass the Success Engagement name or ID into the FORM directly so the participant doesn't have to copy it - room for user error here)
  4. When the participant clicks submit, a different FLOW is started that accepts the values of the form and writes them back to a 'Survey Responses' table capturing the response as well as the associated Success Engagement name (in the flow the first question is mapped to the 'Success Engagement' field within the 'Survey Responses' table
  5. From within the PowerApp, still on the same screen that they clicked to send the outbound e-mail, the user clicks a 'Refresh' icon and the responses that have been received are collated and presented in that same screen - this screen uses the 'Success Engagement' name to identify the records in the 'Survey Response' table to pull into this screen - that is why that data element is so important - the remainder of the survey response is anonymous.

This entire function uses a global FLOW as well as a global FORM - the intent is that the user facilitates the session and doesn't touch the underlying technology.

Please let me know if that makes any sense - 

Tom.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Now Live: Power Virtual Agents Community!

We are excited to announce the launch of Power Virtual Agents Community. Check it out now!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,878)