cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I want to create a flow to write metadata based on file name

I want to create a flow so when someone saves a file in SharePoint (or rename it) then the file metadata will automatically update based on certain rules

For example:

Let's say the file name is "Project_DSR_Rev01"

Since the file has the word "DSR" this will trigger Microsoft Flow rule and update the metadata for the file name

Hope this makes sense if not please ask me questions

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: I want to create a flow to write metadata based on file name

Hi @moeazazi ,

Do you have a column of type Managed Metadata and you want to update the column value when the file name contains certain word?

Please create a flow likes below. With the trigger When a file is created in a folder, add a Condition to check if the File name contains DSR, if yes, update file properties.

1.PNG

Best regards,

Mabel

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted

Re: I want to create a flow to write metadata based on file name

I attached a picture to show the column inside the folder

When I upload a file, I want to create a flow that triggers when a file name contains keywords like "DSR" or "RFI" or whatever. When the system identifies that it will fill the metadata such as Deliverable Name and Functional area (see attached photo)

So if the file name is DSR, it will automatically fill the deliverable name with Daily Status Report (DSR) and functional area with Engineering. If the file name is RFI it will fill the deliverable name with Request For Information (RFI) and function area with Documentation and Records

The purpose of the flow is to fill the deliverable name and functional area for 100-150 keywords like the examples above to avoid writing the metadata it manually.

Also, Is it possible to input the trigger keyword in a spreadsheet and the flow condition will read the keyword from that source instead of typing DSR, RFI, etc  

Thanks for your support, it's really appreciated 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Find your favorite faces from the community presenting at the Power Platform Community Conference!

FirstImage

Microsoft Ignite 2020

Check out the announcement of Power Platform content at Microsoft Ignite!

firstImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Users online (7,883)