cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
esilvac
Advocate I
Advocate I

If I create a WorkFlow with a Premium connector is it necessary for everyone to have a premium subscription to the connector to access Power Apps?

Hello, I have a flow where I use a premium connector and it is connected to an application of mine created in Power Apps, I now wonder if for other people to be able to use the application they also have to have access to the premium connector. Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
vivekpande18
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi @esilvac ,

I did a small POC at my end. I have used a premium connector in flow and calling the flow from power apps.

When I shared with other users it gave the same error message as you mentioned.

So after searching a bit, I came across the below info on the MS article

• If an instant flow has premium connectors, every user who runs the flow needs either a Power Automate premium license, a Power Apps premium license, or a Dynamics license. In such cases, instead of licensing every user, it is simpler to license the flow with a per flow license. One exception for this rule is the http trigger which runs in the context of the owner, even if it's being used in an instant flow.
  • If a parent flow calls a child flow, child flow leverages the context from parent flow. For example, if the parent flow is an automated flow, and the child flow uses premium connectors and the child flow doesn't have per flow license, it will use the parent flow owner's license. If the child flow has a per flow license, it uses the per flow license and not the parent flow's license. During the transition period, there is a slight difference in this behavior. The child flow owner's license will be used unless the child flow has a per flow license but after the transition period ends, the child flow owner's license will be ignored and only the parent flow owner's license is used unless the child flow has a per flow license.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/power-automate-licensing/faqs

Leveraging the above Http exception, I have placed all the premium connector in child flow and in my parent flow I am just calling Http action.

Now my users are not getting the error and they can use the app. 

This was surprising to me. Just to confirm the approach, I have raised the Microsoft ticket and I will connect with them and discuss about this.

But for now, the above approach is working for me.

Parent Flow:

vivekpande18_0-1653636099769.png

Child Flow:

vivekpande18_1-1653636191749.png

I have used Dataverse as premium connector to test

Note : This approach is working fine to me, but I cannot confirm about the limitation of this. I will have a chat with Microsoft guy on this part and get back to you.

Thanks

Vivek Pande

If this post helps answer your question, please "Accept as Solution" to help others find it more quickly.

If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Subscribe to my YouTube channel to get more interesting content on Power Automate.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
vivekpande18
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi @esilvac , 

It's not required for other users account to have access to premium connector to use your flow connected to app. 

But the flow account should have proper license to use the premium connector. 

Flow account - account using which you have created your flow. 

Thanks

Vivek Pande

esilvac
Advocate I
Advocate I

Thanks for the reply, if this is the case maybe you know why someone from the outside gets the notification that they can't access the application because it uses the premium connector? Since it is not necessary for everyone to have access to the premium connector. Do I need to change any kind of settings for it to be possible?

vivekpande18
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi @esilvac , 

Are you using any premium connector in your app? not in your flow. 

What premium connector you are using and for what? 

Scenario might change in case of some premium connector. 

Thanks

Vivek Pande

esilvac
Advocate I
Advocate I

The only premium connector I am using is the Word Business connector to populate a word document on Power Automate. I then connected the Power Automate to PowerApps. Besides that I am not using any feature's or connectors exclusively on this Power App.

vivekpande18
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi @esilvac ,

I did a small POC at my end. I have used a premium connector in flow and calling the flow from power apps.

When I shared with other users it gave the same error message as you mentioned.

So after searching a bit, I came across the below info on the MS article

• If an instant flow has premium connectors, every user who runs the flow needs either a Power Automate premium license, a Power Apps premium license, or a Dynamics license. In such cases, instead of licensing every user, it is simpler to license the flow with a per flow license. One exception for this rule is the http trigger which runs in the context of the owner, even if it's being used in an instant flow.
  • If a parent flow calls a child flow, child flow leverages the context from parent flow. For example, if the parent flow is an automated flow, and the child flow uses premium connectors and the child flow doesn't have per flow license, it will use the parent flow owner's license. If the child flow has a per flow license, it uses the per flow license and not the parent flow's license. During the transition period, there is a slight difference in this behavior. The child flow owner's license will be used unless the child flow has a per flow license but after the transition period ends, the child flow owner's license will be ignored and only the parent flow owner's license is used unless the child flow has a per flow license.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/power-automate-licensing/faqs

Leveraging the above Http exception, I have placed all the premium connector in child flow and in my parent flow I am just calling Http action.

Now my users are not getting the error and they can use the app. 

This was surprising to me. Just to confirm the approach, I have raised the Microsoft ticket and I will connect with them and discuss about this.

But for now, the above approach is working for me.

Parent Flow:

vivekpande18_0-1653636099769.png

Child Flow:

vivekpande18_1-1653636191749.png

I have used Dataverse as premium connector to test

Note : This approach is working fine to me, but I cannot confirm about the limitation of this. I will have a chat with Microsoft guy on this part and get back to you.

Thanks

Vivek Pande

If this post helps answer your question, please "Accept as Solution" to help others find it more quickly.

If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Subscribe to my YouTube channel to get more interesting content on Power Automate.

esilvac
Advocate I
Advocate I

Thank you very much for your response! 🙂 Isn't HTTP Request a premium connector?

vivekpande18
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi @esilvac , 

Http is a premium connector, but it will run under the context of owner of the flow. 

Users interacting with the app need not require to have permission to this connector. 

Still I will get some concrete answer from Microsoft on this part as well.

Thanks for raising this question, it will help others along with me to understand and get clarity on this. 

Regards

Vivek Pande

esilvac
Advocate I
Advocate I

Thank you very much for your help! 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

New Ideas Forum MPA.jpg

A new place to submit your Ideas for Power Automate

Announcing a new way to share your feedback with the Power Automate Team.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

MPA Licensing.jpg

Ask your licensing questions at the Power Automate AMA!

Join Priya Kodukula and the licensing team, super users and MVPs to find answers to your questions on Power Automate licensing.

Users online (1,981)