Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Valerio
Frequent Visitor

Import data into an existing Excel table

Good morning,

I use an Excel table for a Power App.

I would need to overwrite the data in the table several times a day, can I do it with Flow?

How?

Thank you

Valerio

5 REPLIES 5
v-xida-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Valerio,

Do you want to overwrite the data within a Excel table using Microsoft Flow?

How do you insert data into the existing Excel table?

Overwriting the data within the Excel table is not supported in Microsoft Flow currently, if you would like this feature to be added in Microsoft Flow, please submit an idea to Flow Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

In addition, you could consider take a try to delete all data within the Excel table firstly, then insert new data into the existing Excel table. I have made a test on my side and please take a try with the following workaround:

My Original Data within my existing Excel table as below:6.JPG

Please take a try with the following workaround:

• Add a proper trigger, here I use Flow Button trigger.
  • Add a "Get rows" action, specify File Name and Table Name.
  • Add a "Apply to each", input parameter set to output of "Get rows" action.
  • Within "Apply to each" action, add a "Delete row" action, specify File Name and Table Name. Row id field set to Row id dynamic content of "Get rows" action.
  • Under "Apply to each", add a "Get items" action, specify Site Address and List Name.
  • Add a "Apply to each 2", input parameter set to output of "Get items" action.
  • Within "Apply to each 2" action, add a "Insert row" action, specify File Name and Table Name.

Image reference:8.JPG
9.JPG

The flow works successfully as below:

10.JPG

7.JPG

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

I use the excel table with a powerapps.

I need to overwrite or add lines in this table from a csv file extracted from our management several times a day

Can you suggest me how to do it?

Thanks

Valerio

Hi @Valerio,

Do you want to extract data from a CSV file and add data into an Excel table?

There is no way to analyze a CSV file in Microsoft Flow currently, I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in Microsoft Flow currently.

If you would like this feature to be added in Microsoft Flow, please vote the following idea:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/Text-CSV-file-get-rows/idi-p/19494

In addition, you could consider take a try to convert the CSV file into a Excel file manually on your side, then format the data of the Excel file as a table. After that, you could retrieve rows from the Excel file using "Get rows" action of Excel connector.

More details about the "Get rows" action of Excel connector, please check the following article:

The "Get rows" action of Excel connector

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks,

it works, but only for the first 256 rows

it is a limitation?

Thanks

Hi,

I have follwed the same but getting "Cannot write file to filesource. File is being locked." Error at GetRows itself.

Help me if u have any idea on this.

Thanks you in advance..

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Users online (1,097)