cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cripp88
Level: Powered On

Imported Flow - When SharePoint Item Modified - Running For All Items

Hello,

I am moving a solution from a personal account to a service account (no password resets etc), which includes a PowerApp, SharePoint site and several Flows. The migration has been done by exporting the Flows as packages and importing, so they ownership is transferred fully.

Today I turned one of the imported Flows on. The trigger is 'When a SharePoint Item is Created or Modified'. As soon as the Flow was switched on it started to run for every single item in the List (~6,600 items). This is confirmed by exporting the runs to CSV and comparing to the List size.

Is this a bug? I am having to let the Flows run their course as the only other option I see is to rebuild the Flow from scratch, and I want to avoid this as the migration should be very simple otherwise.

4 REPLIES 4
RookieI

Re: Imported Flow - When SharePoint Item Modified - Running For All Items

Are these running records automatically triggered when you open this Flow or do they already exist?

You can view the running time recorded in the flow run history.

Cripp88

The Flow was imported from a .zip package. As far as I know, this doesn't include past Flow runs.

It was imported and left in a switched off state. As soon as it was switched on it started running for all list items. The first run was for the first item in the list (checked the Created date), and I've been checking intermittently and the dates are progressing through the list. Up to the end of November now so hopefully it will be finished. The problem is due to the amount of runs each one is taking forever.

Shubham1308
Level: Power Up

Was the imported flow running on the same list or the list was migrated as well?

If Yes,

When you turn off a flow and you turn it back on, it has kept track of all activities that would have triggered the Flow and execute them when you turn it back on. So if you migrate a list then New items are created and flow will trigger on all the items as soon as you turn it on.

You have 2 ways to avoid this:

1) Add a terminate block at the start of the flow and when all the runs of the past are done then remove the block. 

2) "Save as" your flow after doing all the changes in the list and delete the current flow.

Cripp88

Hi @Shubham1308 

The List is the original, nothing has changed in this regard.

The Flow had a block put in already, as it is advisable to do so when using 'SharePoint item modified' to avoid infinite loops. The runs didn't take any action and all ended up cancelled due to this.

However it has used a huge chunk to runs allowed under the tenant's plan.

I might run a test to see if the 'Save As' method prevents this, but it still seems like a bug.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Better Together Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

Look out for new contribution recognition badges coming SOON!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Community Summit North America

The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (8,388)