Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Increment variable Bug, ID Duplication in Sharepoint

Hi All,

Im trying use forms and flow together, when the form response has submitted the ID in excel on Splist should be updated by 1 after every new response submitted. However, i found that we can use the increment variable to acheive this, but while im trying to update the file after the response submitted, the variable is showing me same duplicate value. 

Please see screen shots: 

Flow1Flow1Sharepoint ListSharepoint ListFlow2Flow2

Please let me know what im i doing wrong and this has created a lot od duplication in my real data base. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Re: Increment variable Bug, ID Duplication in Sharepoint

@Tapesh I always have the increment number in a separate list. Then when a new response is submitted and the item is created you get the current increment value from that list, increment it by 1 using an add() expression and update the increment list so it's ready for the next item. There will only ever therefore be 1 item in that increment list.

Rob
Los Gallardos
If I've answered your question or solved your problem, please mark this question as answered. This helps others who have the same question find a solution quickly via the forum search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. Thanks.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @Tapesh

What Rob is saying, is to have your ID (the number you want to increment by) stored somewhere on SharePoint.

The reason for this is because at this time. Your variable will always be reset every time the flow runs. The variable does not save its value from previous runs. Which is why you must store the variable somewhere so you can use the add() expression to keep adding the updated variable.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

If you like my post please hit the Thumbs Up

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Check out my blog for Power Automate tips, tricks, and guides
FlowAltDelete

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@Tapesh I always have the increment number in a separate list. Then when a new response is submitted and the item is created you get the current increment value from that list, increment it by 1 using an add() expression and update the increment list so it's ready for the next item. There will only ever therefore be 1 item in that increment list.

Rob
Los Gallardos
If I've answered your question or solved your problem, please mark this question as answered. This helps others who have the same question find a solution quickly via the forum search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. Thanks.

Highlighted
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

I m sorry i did not get you sir, what you meann to say ? 

@RobElliott 

can you give me the demo ? if you can please 

Highlighted
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

I tried add function not working i dont know what to do now 

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @Tapesh

What Rob is saying, is to have your ID (the number you want to increment by) stored somewhere on SharePoint.

The reason for this is because at this time. Your variable will always be reset every time the flow runs. The variable does not save its value from previous runs. Which is why you must store the variable somewhere so you can use the add() expression to keep adding the updated variable.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

If you like my post please hit the Thumbs Up

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Check out my blog for Power Automate tips, tricks, and guides
FlowAltDelete

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Tech Marathon

Maratón de Soluciones de Negocio Microsoft

Una semana de contenido con +100 sesiones educativas, consultorios, +10 workshops Premium, Hackaton, EXPO, Networking Hall y mucho más!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (5,924)