cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
biterbit
Level: Powered On

Is Flow the right tool for Sharepoint list validation?

I have a Sharepoint list that I hope to use to replace an Excel spreadsheet that currently captures an organsation's data. Sharepoint has a serious limitiation in its validation features, in that column-level validation cannot refer to any other column in the list, and the list-level validation allows only one test and one error message.

In my case, the spreadsheet contains many date fields and there are validation rules between these: typically that one date must be >= another date. There are about ten of these fields across the list. Column-level validation cannot help (because of the column reference limitation) and, although it would be possible to construct a complex validation test involving all these fields, only one message would be displayed to the user, giving them little idea as to where the issue lay.

I have started looking at Flow to augment the basic Sharepoint features but I'm not sure if it's the right solution for fixing this validation problem. Ideally, I would want either a) validation to take place as the user exits the list column and display an error message; or b) for it to take place when the list record is updated, perhaps displaying the first error messages (in order of entry).

Is Flow the answer or should I be looking elsewhere for this sort of functionality?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Is Flow the right tool for Sharepoint list validation?

Hello,

in your specific case Flow is probably not the right tool because the error message won't show up in the SharePoint UI.

PowerApps is probably a better choice because with PowerApps you can replace the SharePoint out the box forms with your own custom UI and provide your own error message notification. More on this here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/customize-list-form

KInd regards

Serge Luca aka "Doctor Flow"

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Super User
Super User

Re: Is Flow the right tool for Sharepoint list validation?

Hello,

in your specific case Flow is probably not the right tool because the error message won't show up in the SharePoint UI.

PowerApps is probably a better choice because with PowerApps you can replace the SharePoint out the box forms with your own custom UI and provide your own error message notification. More on this here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/customize-list-form

KInd regards

Serge Luca aka "Doctor Flow"

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,377)