cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
s_raja
Frequent Visitor

Is it possible to use the power automate visual in powerbi, to call an API and save a file on the users onedrive.

I have set up a flow which retrieves invoice attachments from an API.
I need to use it within powerbi, as a visual button, because users need to select a 'transaction ID' as trigger data (triggerBody()) for the flow.

The flow successfully retrieves the correct documents and saves them, but only into my Onedrive.

The users need to have the file saved into their own onedrive instead, because they are unable to access my onedrive.

We currently use Row level security to help differentiate users, but this does not affect my flow, and will still only download the files to my onedrive.

Is there any way to fix this?

Or is there a way to get the file to save to the users machine instead of to Onedrive?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
s_raja
Frequent Visitor

Final solution was to create a powerapp which called the flow, then using the powerapp visual for powerbi, which allowed the flow to run per user.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jinivthakkar
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

@s_raja whose connection is associated with the flow ? Ideally the connection should be of service account so files are stored in service accounts onedrive and not yours. Not really sure if you can create a file in users onedrive, but may be you can keep the file in service accounts onedrive and use create a link action and share/provide access is something I could think of.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.

s_raja
Frequent Visitor

@jinivthakkar When testing this flow, without using the powerbi trigger, I was able to share the flow as 'run-only' and when the user clicked on the flow button it would run the flow, and save the files to their own onedrives.

So it is possible for others to save files, I guess I just need to find out how to make powerbi recognise the list of run only users and match them with the row level security.

s_raja
Frequent Visitor

Final solution was to create a powerapp which called the flow, then using the powerapp visual for powerbi, which allowed the flow to run per user.

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

PWREduCon768x460.png

Join us at PWR EduCon - A Power Platform Conference

Learn from the top Power BI, Power Apps, Power Automate & Power Virtual Agents experts!

Power automate tips 768x460 v2.png

Restore a Deleted Flow

Did you know that you could restore a deleted flow? Check out this helpful article.

Users online (3,379)