cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gmaasz
Resolver I
Resolver I

Is there a way to extract text from an HTML email where you still have the line breaks included?

Is there a way to extract text from an HTML email where you still have the line breaks included? When I use the HTML to Text function, it removes line breaks and puts my bullet points in 1 line. Would just like to get the data in the correct format.

5 REPLIES 5
VJR
Super User
Super User

Hi @gmaasz 

Would you be able to share some screenshots as to what your inputs and outputs are showing up as.

If the input email is 

VJR_2-1632979667879.png

the Html to Text shows as below

VJR_0-1632979552810.png

gmaasz
Resolver I
Resolver I

@VJR thanks for the reply. This is correct in the example. The issue is that when you want to use the plain text output somewhere else, like saving it in sharepoint or ailing it to yourself, then it has no formatting applied and the bullet points will be next to one another.

VJR
Super User
Super User

Is there a possibility of taking the line break tags for eg <BR> before converting from html to text, then replacing them with some placeholder character like [*linebreakhere*]

and then later when its the right time add an actual line break wherever there is [*linebreakhere*] present.

Seems lika a plausible solution. Would you maybe be able to assist with an example of how to do this? 🙂

VJR
Super User
Super User

Hi @gmaasz 

There are several factors which will determine whether or not you can go ahead with this approach or not depending on how big or small your email text is, what are its contents, etc.

Also what is the html showing up at the place where there are line breaks, is it a html <BR> tag or anything else.

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Power automate tips 768x460 v2.png

Restore a Deleted Flow

Did you know that you could restore a deleted flow? Check out this helpful article.

Microsoft Build 768x460.png

Microsoft Build is May 24-26. Have you registered yet?

Come together to explore latest innovations in code and application development—and gain insights from experts from around the world.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

What difference can a User Group make for you?

At the monthly call, connect with other leaders and find out how community makes your experience even better.

Users online (2,553)