cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mgodby
Post Patron
Post Patron

Is there a way to turn an owner of a Team into a member?

Hello. The reason I want to do this is because I'm facing an issue where removing a user from a Team will work in flow if they are a member but not if they're an owner. I used the "remove member from group" action to remove the user from the AAD group.

picture1.png

This will work if they're only a member. They will lose access to the Team and they will be removed from the list of members and guests. But if they're an owner, nothing changes. Even though they are removed from the AAD group. And if I go into teams and change that owner into a member, they are automatically removed.

Is there a way to turn an owner into a member for a Teams Team through power automate? Is this possible? Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
rsaikrishna
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

@Mgodby 

Use MS Graph API for Teams as show below:

rsaikrishna_0-1622682492374.png

You may need to make two API calls for following:

a. Remove Owner

b. Add member

I hope this will help you. Please give a try and post your questions here.

Regards

Krishna Rachakonda

If this reply helped you to solve the issue, please mark the post as Accepted SolutionMarking this post as Accepted Solution, will help many other users to use this post to solve same or similar issue without re-posting the issue in the group. Saves a lot of time for everyone.

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately, graph api is something we are trying to avoid using. Is there another way to turn the owner to a member in Flow? 

Hi @Mgodby 

The Teams Action, albeit in preview, "Add a member to a team" will allow you to do this, even if the user is already a member.  You do not need to remove and re-add.  The Azure and Groups Actions do not have an option to select owner/member levels, they will be members by default.

DamoBird365_0-1622698670101.png

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Cheers,
Damien

P.S. take a look at my new blog here and like & subscribe to my YouTube Channel thanks 😉

Thank you for the reply. I tried using this action but it seems to only work for turning a member into an owner and not the other way around. When I use this action and set the should be owner value to No, the Owner is not demoted to a Member, they remain the Owner. 

This is how I use the action. Unfortunately, the Owner remains the Owner so I still can't remove them from the Team.

removeasowner.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Users online (3,002)