cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Billtard
Advocate II
Advocate II

Is there any way to setup a planner task with the Email body as the Planner Description?

I'm new to Flow and I've got a basic template I'm using. I have Outlook flagged email - Get O365 profile - Create Planner Task. I've been playing around and I can't figure out how to do the following.

Is there any way to setup that task with the Email body as the Planner Description?  
From what I've found on the web portal there isn't any way to customize the template.  Is there anyway to create a custom flow where I can copy the template and modify it?

Thanks in advance. 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Billtard,

Thanks for correcting me. Actually, there is a Description field under the action “Update task details”.

To get the Task Id, please select from the dynamic content from the previous action “Create a task”.

3.PNG

Please try it on your side and let me know if it will work for you.

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
v-yamao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi Billtard,

Thanks for feedback.

When we use the action “Planner – Create a task”, there is no field for “Description”.

3.PNG

I am afraid that we don’t have a way to copy a template. What we could do is to create a flow from the template then modify the available fields according to our needs. We could also start a flow from blank and use the triggers and actions that we want.

If you want to create a task with the email body as the Planner description, I would suggest you vote an idea at here. A customer who has the same request has a comment “I'm voting for this because the "Description" field in Planner should be fill-able from Flow (any flow)”, please check the link for more details:
https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/Flow-for-SharePoint-to-Planner-Description/idi-p/3531...

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I just tried to manually create a flow using the portal.  Is there any other way to create flows that I'm not aware of?  Also I'm not sure where/how to pull a task ID.  

I just created a new flow manually (as far as i undertand manual creation to be) and filled it out and it turned into the same as the template.  I did notice that there is an option to update a tasks description. i'd have to pull that tasks ID in, but I don't know where to find the task ID from the task I just created.   I'll add a snip to show what i'm trying to explain. 

Capture.PNG

Shouldn't that work as long as I can get the Task ID?

Hi Billtard,

Thanks for correcting me. Actually, there is a Description field under the action “Update task details”.

To get the Task Id, please select from the dynamic content from the previous action “Create a task”.

3.PNG

Please try it on your side and let me know if it will work for you.

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

HA! I can't believe I didn't see that Task ID option.  I just set it up and we'll see if it works. Thanksf or the help. 

That worked!

I have a slight issue now, it's pulling in HTML.  Is there anyway to convert the email to plain text and then pull it in?  Or do you want me to create a new post for that one?

I figured it out! I'm starting to get the hang of this. 

Capture.PNG

What happens in the Translate step?

Could you expand that and the HTML to Text steps for me?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Untitled picture.png

Thanks to all of your help, IT WORKS!

Hello, I am trying to do this same thing, and think I have seleted the Task ID correctly -- but the 'Update task details' step fails.

The error message it always returns is:   "message""The requested item is not found.",

Same for me. I have used this flow like 2 months ago and it was working. Not it does not work anymore. Can anyone help?

Screenshot at Jan 31 15-04-45.png

I have the same iisue!

ALEXANDERIII
Advocate I
Advocate I

Confirming it works for me too.

Thank you for finding this new solution!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've the same problem, chromiumleaf28. Can you resolved it?
Anonymous
Not applicable

I set up this flow in a similar way but am getting this error on the 'Create a Task' node. Can someone suggest a solution?

{
  "error": {
    "code""",
    "message""Referenced User or Group (email@host.com) is not found.",
    "innerError": {
      "request-id""fed3414e-1b85-477a-b1e7-379b3b077b89",
      "date""2018-09-25T20:19:35"
    }
  }
}

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was able to fix by changing the Description  to "Body Preview"  See screenshot below.

2018-11-07_10-51-10.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

New Ideas Forum MPA.jpg

A new place to submit your Ideas for Power Automate

Announcing a new way to share your feedback with the Power Automate Team.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

MPA Licensing.jpg

Ask your licensing questions at the Power Automate AMA!

Join Priya Kodukula and the licensing team, super users and MVPs to find answers to your questions on Power Automate licensing.

Users online (2,621)