cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gibbs78
Regular Visitor

Leave Form Work Flow

Hi everyone. I have just started dabbling in Power Automate & Flows and I am using it to create a complete flow for approval. My end goal is to have the user fill out the form with their name, dates requested and fill in additional information. The challenge is this additional information can be a single line or multiple lines with projects and project managers. The form needs to be sent to each project manager before it goes to the requestor's manager for final approval. Then it will get put on the our vacation calendar once approved.

What I have figured out how to do thus far:

- I can create a flow, get approval and have it added to our vacation calendar.

- The flow does go to the requestors manager.

Issues that I am having:

- When it goes to the requestor's manager, it also goes to the managers manager. Cant figure out why.

- The requestor gets an email from the account that created the flow. i.e. if John Doe created the flow and is logged into the connectors, Jane Doe can submit the request but the email is sent as To: John Doe From: John Doe (in my test environment, John Doe is Jane Doe's manager).

- I dont know how to get a flow going to each project manager for approval before it goes to the requestor's manager. If this can even be done.

Thanks for the help. Any information would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@gibbs78 

First, I always use the managers email address when I am assigning an approver - don't know if that will make a difference.

You condition should compare Outcome from the approval action to Approve.

To have others approve before it goes to the requestors manager, you'll need additional approval actions and conditions.  So, you'll start with an approval that goes to a the project managers and have it set to "Everyone must approve".  Then, check the outcome of that approval via a condition.  If it was approved, then start another approval that goes the the requestors manager.

There are other ways to approach this but what I am suggesting is the least complicated.

The emails will always come from the individual whose connection is used on the send an email action (which is usually the creator of the Flow) unless the Flow is initiated from a Power App.

You will have an issue with the project managers - you need a way to convert the response from Forms to an account.  You might have a list in SharePoint with all of the project managers that you can use for reference.

You might consider using a Power App instead of forms for your input - that would solve some of your issues.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ScottShearer
Super User
Super User

@gibbs78 

Please post a screen shot of your Flow with as much detail as possible.

Scott
gibbs78
Regular Visitor

gibbs78_0-1634825488307.pnggibbs78_1-1634825541431.pnggibbs78_2-1634825606274.png

@gibbs78 

First, I always use the managers email address when I am assigning an approver - don't know if that will make a difference.

You condition should compare Outcome from the approval action to Approve.

To have others approve before it goes to the requestors manager, you'll need additional approval actions and conditions.  So, you'll start with an approval that goes to a the project managers and have it set to "Everyone must approve".  Then, check the outcome of that approval via a condition.  If it was approved, then start another approval that goes the the requestors manager.

There are other ways to approach this but what I am suggesting is the least complicated.

The emails will always come from the individual whose connection is used on the send an email action (which is usually the creator of the Flow) unless the Flow is initiated from a Power App.

You will have an issue with the project managers - you need a way to convert the response from Forms to an account.  You might have a list in SharePoint with all of the project managers that you can use for reference.

You might consider using a Power App instead of forms for your input - that would solve some of your issues.

Scott

View solution in original post

Thanks Scott. Solved my issue. This is way out of my scope of my skill set so I will be paying someone to develop this.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Users online (2,938)