cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
peter_c
Level: Powered On

Licensing of Response action

Hi,

I'd like to get some clarification on the licensing changes to the HTTP actions mentioned in this post. Does this also affect the Response action?

Response Action.png

According to this post it doesn't affect the Response action; however I'm getting conflicting opinions from people I talk to and I can't seem to find official documentaion that clarifies this.  Can someone who is responsible for Flow licensing please publish some official guidance on this.

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Licensing of Response action

Hi @peter_c ,

From the blog provided in the post, HTTP custom actions integrated into Flow outside SharePoint and OneDrive will only be available with PowerApps and Flow Plan 1 and Plan 2.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Office-Retirement-Blog/UPDATED-Updates-to-Microsoft-Flow-and-...

From the Flow Plan doc, we know that connectivity to custom applications or with the HTTP connectors is not available for Office 365 licenses:

https://preview.flow.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/

Best regards,

Mabel

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
peter_c

Thanks Mabel.

The Response action appears to be the only way to return an array of items from Flow to PowerApps.  It's particularly important when using SQL Server with stored procedures because PowerApps doesn't currently support calling stored procedures.

With the licensing change, it seems we're now being forced to pay for a gap in the feature set.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @peter_c ,

Thanks for updating.

We could return an array from Flow to PowerApps using Response action:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/return-an-array-from-flow-to-powerapps-response-method/

About the licensing changes on the HTTP actions, I will help confirm it on my side.

By the way, there is another action Respond to PowerApps could be used to return data to PowerApps from a flow, the following blog for your reference:

https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/return-data-to-powerapps/

Best regards,

Mabel

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
peter_c

Thanks Mabel.  I look forward to hearing from you regarding the licensing changes.

In regards to the Respond to PowerApps action, unfortunately it doesn't support an array data type.  I've seen examples where people have returned a JSON string, but there currently isn't a JSON parser in PowerApps so you end up having to do a lot of string manipulation to extract the data.

peter_c

Hi @v-yamao-msft,

Just wondering if you have an update for this?

97sid

I am looking for the same? Any updates you got on this Peter!
Just wondering - Why is it made  so tough to have to go to a flow to call a stored procedure and then have no way to even read it's response without using a workaround and then take that response turn into a json using the response action which is now (premium) and then have it bind to a collection to be finally able to use it in powerapps. Powerapps should be directly able to call a stored procedure and read the response and display results.

Don't suggest to use views or tables, because I don't want to bring thousands of rows of data.

peter_c

Unfortunately, I didn't get an update on this, but from various posts I've seen, the consensus seems to be that the Response action is premium. 

Also, based on this post: "New licensing options for PowerApps and Microsoft Flow standalone paid plans" it looks like it's going to get more expensive to use.  mentions the same issue in her comment of the article.

ChinoDoesStuff

Dear Microsoft,

Please add return types of 'Object' and 'Array' to the 'Respond to PowerApps' action or remove the 'Premium' requirement from the 'Response' action in Flow or add the ability to parse JSON within PowerApps.

I'd be happy with either one of these.

It kind of hurts PowerApps in general not having this feature widely available for use.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (6,343)