cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kmason
Level: Powered On

Locking down a List Item in SharePoint

Does anyone know how I would lock down an item in a list  so the user can't change it? I have a column that auto populates and I don't want the user to be able to edit it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Locking down a List Item in SharePoint

Off topic for here, but you can create a list template (with/without content).  The template can be downlaoded and uploaded to the list template gallery in the new site collection.  You'll obviuosly need to make some changes to your Flow.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Super User
Super User

Flow does not (yet) support changing item level permissions in the way that could be done with a SharePoint Designer 2010 workflow with an impersonation step.  By "not support" I mean there is no native action that allows you to do so.

Plumsail does offer a SharePoint connector that will allow you to set SharePoint permissions ($$).

You can find a number of blog posts that show you how to roll you own solution.

Here is an example.

Scott
kmason

Thank you @ScottShearer. Do you think if I decide to do the Plumsail solution I should create a separate flow for this list or add this to the current approval flow? The current flow is pretty intense as it has 5 levels of approvers with a 30 day follow up email to the creator when it is expired.

Thanks for your help!

bloodoff
Level 8

Another way - you can disable Quick Edit for that very list, then use PowerApps forms (integrated with SharePoint). By using those you can lock down any field.

The only backdoor left in this case, if people click on the "Info" button, then they can still adjust those fields no matter what which I find unnecessary to have at all.

Just my 2 cents.

pic.png

kmason

Thanks @bloodoff but I need them to edit most items in the list just not that one. I do have in the training instructions to leave that item alone, my boss just asked to have it locked down but I'm not sure it is worth the trouble. Maybe teach users to fish the right way and be done with it instead of trying to "fool proof" it. 

I appreciate your 2 cents! 🙂

bloodoff
Level 8

You can still somewhat do that.

I have a Powerapps form that has 3 stages in it. On the 2nd stage where a Manager has to assign an Engineer only a Manager can edit fields (I have a condition that turns either DisaplayMode.View or Edit for controls).

If not a secret, what kind of item is that, a counter?

kmason

Hey @bloodoff yes, it is a field that auto numbers the items in the list. The list itself goes through 5 approvers and then has a follow email to the creator that the item is approved. 30 days later a follow up email to the creater lets them know the item is expired and needs to be removed.

Super User
Super User

I haven't used the Plumsail SharePoint connector yet - just registered for a trial subscription.

That said, I suspect that you'll be able to add the Plumsail SharePoint connector to your current Flow.  I suggest making a copy of your current Flow and adding the Plumsail connector using a trial subscriptions for test purposes before buying or rolling it out. 

Scott
kmason

Good idea. Thanks for all your help! @ScottShearer

bloodoff
Level 8

Funny that I had a very similar process to create 🙂

What I ended up doing (other than what I already said), I have a separate list that only has 1 item - counter document in it.

So my Powerapps form looks it up, increments it, then uses that value when saving an item in the original list. I was willing to post such a solution but afaik a Powerapps blog is not for regular users.

kmason

That is funny. I am not sure if I'm even going to worry about it at the moment. I think I may roll it out with training users that they don't need to fill out that field and see if they actually listen lol. 

On another kind of related note: Do you know if it is possible to copy a list from one SharePoint site to another? I have my list in my test site but now I'm ready to put it in the live site and I'm trying not to recreate it if possible. Not that it would take all that long.

Super User
Super User

Off topic for here but you can create a list template (with/without conetnt).  The template can be downloaded and uploaded to the new site collection list template gallery.  You'll obviously need to make some changes to your Flow.

Scott
bloodoff
Level 8

Try this:

• Save you current list as a template
  • Include Content
  • Go to another Sub-site / Site Contents
  • When creating a list, select "Create an App" instead
  • Select your template

Few things to note - I tested it within a site-collection, it did loose Lookup dependencies.

copy list.png

Super User
Super User

Off topic for here, but you can create a list template (with/without content).  The template can be downlaoded and uploaded to the list template gallery in the new site collection.  You'll obviuosly need to make some changes to your Flow.

Scott

View solution in original post

JerryW

An older posting - sorry to ressurect.

There is a far easier way.

use flow to Clone then Delete

To test - a simple list with advanced settings permit users to edit and view their own items, and view all items

[Title], [availability], [originalAuthor]

availabiltiy is an option list with open and locked, default  "open"

Flow triggered on create item -> control = "availability.value" == "open" ->

• create item
    • Title= "when an item is created" Title
    • availibility = "locked"
    • originalAuthor = "creator.email"

-> delete item id="when an item is created.id"

Alternative flow execution is on create tiem -> control = "availability.value"=="locked" -> go to end of flow.

The way this works is that the owner of the flow has to be a site owner or allocated to the site owners group.

The copied item is created by the flow using the SharePoint connector of the flow owner - an owner user, the original item is deleted after being cloned.

With careful naming the end user will never know, they will just assume the item has been locked!

lockingAnItem.pnglockingAnItemlist.png

johnpilola
Level: Power Up

i have no time to try this option yet but i'd like to know whose name will appear as "Created by" in the cloned item

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,650)