Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vamsi_varanasi
Helper IV
Helper IV

Logic apps and Power apps

Dear Community,

Could you please help me to understand what exactly the difference between  Azure Logic apps and Power Automate ( cloud\desktop ) flows ? 

seems both are having the same kind of coding environment like adding the steps one after the another and using the Office 365 connectors. 

Please help. I am currently developing cloud flows extensively in my projects but wanted to understand why can't I develop using Logic apps and what are the benefits if I use this ? 

Thanks, 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jinivthakkar
Super User
Super User

@vamsi_varanasi Please find difference in the same below

jinivthakkar_0-1613980170555.png

Refer this link for more details :

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/community/power-automate-vs-logic-apps#highlight-key-...

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-in/resources/videos/ignite-2018-microsoft-azure-logic-apps-vs-microso...

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jinivthakkar
Super User
Super User

@vamsi_varanasi Please find difference in the same below

jinivthakkar_0-1613980170555.png

Refer this link for more details :

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/community/power-automate-vs-logic-apps#highlight-key-...

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-in/resources/videos/ignite-2018-microsoft-azure-logic-apps-vs-microso...

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

@jinivthakkar - Thanks for this info and seems this information is like MSFT mentioned in a theoretical way. 

Could you please help me to understand the real world use cases I mean exact or similar business use cases because if the same use case can be done in power automate, can I propose the customer to use Azure logic apps instead of Power Automate ? so would like to hear the technical and exact use case between these two so that customer problems  can be advised more accurate. 

Hi @vamsi_varanasi ,

Logic Apps now have 3 versions, being consumption, standard and ISE.

Differences in general

• ARM template deployment means devs can parametize everything and deploy Logic Apps and dependencies as code
  • Deployed in resource groups rather than environments.  Access controlled via RBAC IAM.
  • Connections can be shared across resource group
  • Native integration with many other Azure resources.  For example, if you are using Azure APIM, there is a specific option for importing Logic Apps.
  • Developed via Azure Portal or Visual Studio/VS Code

Difference with consumption logic apps

• Different licensing construct where you are charged a pay as you go execution model.  May work out cheaper or more depending on usage.

DIfferences in standard Logic Apps

• You need to provision an app service plan which will incur costs but offers dedicated compute
  • Runs on Azure Function runtime
  • You can now package multiple workflows within the same project (similar to Azure Functions)
  • vNET integration allows access to private networks in Azure as well as on premise via Expressroute rather than data gateway
  • Application Insights integration means full logging and APM functionality
  • Ability to create stateful and stateless workflows which will increase performance

In short, if I was building an enterprise mobile app or web app and wanted to create APIs in the backend without coding, I would opt for Logic Apps.  The standard version now offers alot of great features like app insights for observability and vNET integration for private networks and on prem.  It there makes it a much more robust enterprise iPaaS solution.

If I wanted our end users or citizen devs to build workflows or automate certain tasks or integrating with PowerApps as part of their day to day, I would choose Power Automate as there is a learning curve for Azure which may turn many people off.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark my post as a solution
If you have found my response helpful, please give it a thumbs up

Connect on LinkedIn

@eric-cheng - Thank you very much for your response. 

could you please bit a more elaborate on the below statement 

"In short, if I was building an enterprise mobile app or web app and wanted to create APIs in the backend without coding, I would opt for Logic Apps".

Hi @vamsi_varanasi ,

Anything that would resemble a microservice architecture that would require scaling in/out and observability.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark my post as a solution
If you have found my response helpful, please give it a thumbs up

Connect on LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Users online (2,273)