cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper IV
Helper IV

Lookup vs flow to retrieve data from another list on the same sharepoint

In my list A, I need a few columns from my list B.

I found two ways of doing it:

- add a Lookup column with additional 'sister' columns. In the 'new item' form, I then select a value from list B and the 'sister' columns populate once I click Create. (method 1)

- have a flow that gets the data I want from list B and inserts it in columns that I have set up of this in list A (method 2)

Leaving aside the fact that Lookup is only available when the lists belong to a same Sharepoint, what are the pros and cons of each method?

I thought that the method 1 would allow me to check the data of list B from within the form. I would have needed that because I would have used the populated information to help me fill-in other fields in the form before actually creating the item. But it is not the case.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Helper IV
Helper IV

One problem that I see with method 1 (Lookup) is that I can't add values manually like in normal Choice columns. It makes sense since it is a lookup of another list, the values are supposed to come from another list, but it is a constrain in my specific situation.

What I like about the method 1 (Lookup) is that is in technically simpler than a flow, and leaves data in one place.

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@Dricc 

You may want to consider customizing/replacing the SharePoint forms with PowerApps.  You should be able to meet your requirement within the PowerApp without needing to make compromises as to functionality. If you have additional questions regarding doing this in PowerApps, you'll want to pose your questions in the PowerApps community site.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott
Highlighted

Good to know but my company hasn't subscribed to PowerApps for the time being.

Highlighted

@Dricc 

If your company uses Office 365 and has a Flow license, you probably (almost definitely) already have a PowerApps license that you can use to customize SharePoint list forms.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott
Highlighted

I have Office 365. I don't know about the Flow licence but I've been using Flow for a couple of months without restriction. However when I click on the PowerApps icon at the top of my Sharepoint list, I'm directed to a page that says that my PowerApps Plan 2 Trial has expired and there is a button to extend it for another 30 days.

Highlighted

My question if more about in what situation would I typically use method 1 / method 2 ?

Highlighted

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Users online (7,203)