cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beck0Fish
Level: Powered On

MS Flow does not 'get' time portion of D365 datetime field which causes a 1 day discrepancy for BST (British Summer Time) dates

I have a datetime field in Dynamics 365, the BEHAVIOUR is User Local, the format is Date Only (required for display on form).  I know for a fact the format is irrelevant to the value stored in SQL backend which will be UTC datetime.  So for entry of 1st Feb this would be 01/02/2019 00:00 but for 1st June would be 31/05/2019 23:00 (example British Summer Time date).

My Flow takes this into account and when updating a second date field with the output the expression adds an hour on every time to ensure for BST to be pushed back on to correct date (and irrelevant to winter dates, which will still display correct date, it's academic they're an hour ahead).

HOWEVER, the 'get' value coming back is not 31/05/2019 23:00, it is only 31/05/2019 - the time portion is entirely truncated.  This means that when I try to convert the value, it is assumed to be 31/05/2019 00:00, and my final datetime is 31/05/2019 01:00  (and not the intended 01/06/2019 00:00).

Flow is taking into account the FORMAT property of the D365 field.  I have tested this because if I change the field format to Date and Time, the 'get record' Output value is the full Date Time value as stored in SQL.

This cannot be by design as the FORMAT of the D365 field (i.e. how you wish for it to be displayed on the form) should never be taken into account, the value should be taken as stored in SQL.  Otherwise how are you ever going to get round time zone conversions?  If I were to display all time portions on all forms (which is unsightly at best) Users would see my non-BST dates were infact 01:00AM (to allow for BST correction) which would cause much user confusion and error trying to manually edit etc.

Flow date time field.JPGEdited to add screenshot to show difference in output when format of field differs (behaviour is same)

2 REPLIES 2
jpacettf
Level 8

Re: MS Flow does not 'get' time portion of D365 datetime field which causes a 1 day discrepancy for BST (British Summer Time) dates

@Beck0Fish Did you ever come up with a solution to this?

Beck0Fish
Level: Powered On

Re: MS Flow does not 'get' time portion of D365 datetime field which causes a 1 day discrepancy for BST (British Summer Time) dates

Hi there,

Submitted case to Microsoft who said it was a bug and fix would be deployed middle of next month (April) - I checked last week and behaviour hadn't changed.  Sent email to follow up, no response yet.

My work around (I think!) was to create - specifically for this purpose - a calculated field of date/time whose formula sets it to the value of the original (Date Only format) date/time field; and don't bother even putting this calculated field on form, just use it for Flow and it gets the complete date time data you need (UTC of course).

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (6,362)