cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maxb57
Level: Powered On

MS Flow looking for deleted SP columns

I deleted two columns out of a Sharepoint list, and now Flow errors out when it tries to access an SP item out of that list. The error message indicates that Flow does not know the columns have been deleted. Any thoughts? Is there something that I can do to "refresh" Flow to get rid of references to the old deleted columns?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: MS Flow looking for deleted SP columns

Hi @ maxb57,

Could please share a screenshots of the configuration of your flow?

I have made a test on my side and the issue is confirmed on my side. If you have deleted some columns of a Sharepoint list, and the flow would run failed when access to the deleted columns of the list. Because the flow couldn’t find the deleted columns.

The only way to do this is to delete the action that references the deleted column and add the action again.

Regards,
Alice Zhang

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
PhilD
Level 8

Same experience here...

"status"400,
  "message""The passed-in field \"Mid_x002d_Year\" could not be found\r

Column "Mid Year" was deleted yesterday.

I deleted the SharePoint connection to the Flow and recreated it but that didn't seem to help.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @ maxb57,

Could please share a screenshots of the configuration of your flow?

I have made a test on my side and the issue is confirmed on my side. If you have deleted some columns of a Sharepoint list, and the flow would run failed when access to the deleted columns of the list. Because the flow couldn’t find the deleted columns.

The only way to do this is to delete the action that references the deleted column and add the action again.

Regards,
Alice Zhang

View solution in original post

nitishbijalwan

Any update regarding this. Dont know why its refering the deleted column

PhilD
Level 8

For my part, I deleted the action that referred to the deleted column and rebuilt that action from scratch.

This solved the problem but the apparent fragility of all of this is not very confidence inspiring to say the least...

Tanner
Level 8

Agreed, this level of fragility is really scary. If someone renames a column or deletes a column, Flow should automatically update to match, not break so badly that you have to rebuild the thing from scratch.

JPvdB

FYI, the Flow checks the FieldName of the column not the DisplayName. When you rename a column you only change the DisplayName, so it won't break the Flow.

PhilD
Level 8

@JPvdB that is true, only deleting a column entirely causes the issued described here (where Flow continues to look for a now nonexistent column). Renaming a column does not seem to cause any problems.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does anyone know if this is raised as an issue at Microsoft?

For now I will re-create the whole action but it is way cumbersome taking the fact I was working on those actions half a day, as they are quite long and complex...

olson

Definitley needs to be fixed. Can this be enterd as a bug somewhere?

Highlighted
TonyHignett
Level: Power Up

Any update on this?

re-creating the action from scratch surely cannot be the only answer!

npatelAU

There should be an option on Microsoft Flow "Create item" action part something like "Refresh" which will prompt for update automatically column names as per list column OR small hyperlink option called "Delete" same as like "Add dynamic Content" underneath of the column name.

grantjenkins

I know that this is a fairly old thread - but did any of you find a solution for this?

I have the same mess with multiple Flows due to, what looks to be, a very common issue.

Also, it says that this thread has a solution, but I can't seem to find it in any of the replies? What's marked as a reply is "The only way to do this is to delete the action that references the deleted column and add the action again.", but that definitely isn't a solution - it's a hack at best.

Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Users Online
Currently online: 287 members 4,838 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: