cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Metadata Assigned at Folder Level

We have a somewhat unique circumstance where our users enter metadata for a folder rather than individual files.  I've been trying for the past hour or so, and I can't seem to find a way to pickup metadata assigned only to a folder.  The column in question is a review date, and I would like to pick it up to compare it to the current date for the purposes of notifying users of an upcoming review.  I know that I can do this with a list, but our users will simply see that as extra, unnecessary work.    

Does anyone know if this is possible?  

Thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Re: Metadata Assigned at Folder Level

I ended up using a SharePoint list to describe each project.  Essentailly what we're doing with this list is to have one record per project and assign a couple of columns for things like next review date and reviewer emails.  We then use Flow to loop over the list once per day to check if the next review date is 30 days in the future, and if so, send an email to the list of reviewers.

This was our approach to working around the problem of picking up metadata assigned at the folder level.  I had left this open in case anyone found a better solution.  

Thanks. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Power Automate
Power Automate

Which connector are you using?

Highlighted
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

I suppose I should have mentioned that.  

I'm using the SharePoint connector.  I started with using the "List Folders" action.  The part works, and I can loop through the folders in the root of my document library.  After that I tried using "Get File Metadata", "Get File Metadata using Path", and "Get File Properties", but none of these have worked so far.  I haven't figured out how to pull the metadata associated with the folder itself.

Highlighted
Power Automate
Power Automate

It seems like this isn't supported but I'm verifying with the Sharepoint team.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hi, 

Did you find a solution solution for this ?

Thanks, 

I hope this helps,
Highlighted
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

I ended up using a SharePoint list to describe each project.  Essentailly what we're doing with this list is to have one record per project and assign a couple of columns for things like next review date and reviewer emails.  We then use Flow to loop over the list once per day to check if the next review date is 30 days in the future, and if so, send an email to the list of reviewers.

This was our approach to working around the problem of picking up metadata assigned at the folder level.  I had left this open in case anyone found a better solution.  

Thanks. 

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Upcoming Events

Experience what’s next for Power Automate

See the latest Power Automate innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Users online (5,959)