cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NCLCD
Regular Visitor

Moving files on Sharepoint is too slow

Hello.

Moving files with the predefined sharepoint action takes too much time, event for (extremely) small files.

In the example I'm moving a 5bytes and a 3 bytes files, taking more that 30 seconds each, sometimes more than 1 minute.

SiCSgOc

The flow in general is working fast, including file creation that takes between 1-3 seconds.  How can improve this time when copying files?

I'm using flow (power-automate) through firefox.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-bacao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @NCLCD ,

The time it takes to execute this action is independent of the browser you are using.

The result of my test is similar to yours. It takes a little longer than other actions because it performs more operations in the backend.

If the file size is a bit larger or the specified file is moved to another site, this feeling may be more obvious.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-bacao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @NCLCD ,

The time it takes to execute this action is independent of the browser you are using.

The result of my test is similar to yours. It takes a little longer than other actions because it performs more operations in the backend.

If the file size is a bit larger or the specified file is moved to another site, this feeling may be more obvious.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
manuelstgomes
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @NCLCD 

@v-bacao-msft  has a point. The browser is not a factor here.

I would recommend moving the files once they are created. You can create easily a Power Automate that, when a file is created, moves it to the desired sharepoint. Then you'll only have to move files once in a while and therefore the transfer will be much faster.

Another solution would be to zip them at the source, move the zip file and unzip them at the destination. Then you would only have 1 file being moved and it would be smaller overall so the export would be faster.

But, because of the issues you're experiencing, please try to avoid using Power Automate to replicate / sync files. You can use the sharing capabilities with permissions so, if possible, I would recommend having only one source of truth.

Hope this helps you

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Cheers
Manuel

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Automate News & Announcements

Power Automate News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Automate community.

Community Calls Conversations

Community Calls Conversations

A great place where you can stay up to date with community calls and interact with the speakers.

Power Automate Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Users online (6,595)