cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Tbruns
Level: Powered On

Need suggestions on how to accomplish the below please.

I am needing suggestions on the best Flow to accomplish the below.

Currently we have documents that we are uploading to OneDrive for Business by the Owner of the document. I have set up content types to match the Sharepoint sub-sites where the documents will eventually be moved to.

Once uploaded to OneDrive a group of individuals will review the documents and make changes when necessary.

Once the changes are complete the document owner will then mark the document as "approved". The "approved" field is a checkmark column in OneDrive.

Once approved I will upload the document to a Sharepoint site.

My question is: Is there an easier way to do this by using Flow? My concern is that there are multiple sub-sites and the documents need to moved to the correct sub-site depending on the content type.

I appreciate any and all suggestions and help with a flow to accomplish the above. Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

Re: Need suggestions on how to accomplish the below please.

@Tbruns:

I strongly suggest that you should consider uploading documents directly to the SharePoint site rather than to OneDrive.  That way, you can have a single or a small number of Flows control your process.  You'll want to have all content types available in this library.

The Flow might use the "for a selected item" trigger rather than making the users edit a library column.  If you go this way, remember that you'll need to share your Flow with the SharePoint list as a run-only users. 

Unfortunately, Flow is not yet "content type aware".  One way around this is to add a new column to each content type with a unique name in each content type.  Specify a default value for the column.  Your Flow can then check the value of the unique columns upon approval and then move the documents to the correct destination location. 

If you use the Flow Approval engine, there is no need to mark the item as Approved - you Flow can move the document or take other action based on the outcome of the approval.

Scott

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott
Tbruns
Level: Powered On

Thank you! This gives me a startin gpoint. Replying to your comment "I strongly suggest that you should consider uploading documents directly to the SharePoint site rather than to OneDrive.  That way, you can have a single or a small number of Flows control your process.  You'll want to have all content types available in this library."

So I would just add a new page on the sharepoint site? Currently the site allows everyone in our organization to access the whole site so would I just need to change the permissions on the new page that I add? (Since there will only be select individuals uploading/creating new documents)

Super User
Super User

@Tbruns:

You'll want to add a new library to the site and change the permissions on the library (break inheritance) as appropriate.

Scott

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,018)