cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helper II
Helper II

Newbie Question - Do I build seperate flows or one flow that does two tasks

I have a flow running which is updating a time value etc....alll ok.

I now want to copy the ID to a 2nd text column (as its used elsewhere). This is done in SharePoint desginer at the mo but want to move it to Flow.

Should I add another step to the 1st Flow or is it better to add a 2nd Flow to perform that activity.

Makes sense to mod the 1st one, but wondered if for de-bugging etc, it was easier to have 2?

Ian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ianf1969 ,

You can do exactly what you need in a flow.

2.jpg

I am not clearly why you need to copy the ID to a 2nd text column.

Maybe using Variables can fulfill your needs. The variables in Flow are global variables.

If your flow is stock on one side, you can also debug, a failed branch does not affect a successful branch.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Hi @ianf1969 

Based on the information that you shared, it makes sense to have the other action in the 1st flow itself. Better not to create the 2nd flow unless necessary. 

You could still debug if any errors pop in from the run history itself. Also, it will be difficult to get the ID from the second flow (as you might create an endless loop that keeps the flow triggereing based on the modification to the flow) makes sense?

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ianf1969 ,

You can do exactly what you need in a flow.

2.jpg

I am not clearly why you need to copy the ID to a 2nd text column.

Maybe using Variables can fulfill your needs. The variables in Flow are global variables.

If your flow is stock on one side, you can also debug, a failed branch does not affect a successful branch.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Kudo Collector
Kudo Collector

I'd edit the existing flow if the triggers are the same. In the long term it only gives you one place to go and debug or change rather than remembering there are two flows executing.
Remember a good solution you can hand to another person to own easily.

Regards

Laura GB

Highlighted

Hi, the 2nd ID is used in the formula builder, where several "long" columns are shortened to create a friendly ID based on about 3 columns and the cloned ID. Sharepoint designer has done this ok for the last year or so, but was switching to Flow now.....
Highlighted

Hi, I set up 2 flows, as they are have a different activity timer; 1) Is a batch job, so at 06:00 (essentially 00:01), the days open is calculated on open items, based on the ID start date of row. 2) Is the second cloned ID which is then used in concatenated formula.

When creatting the flows, I see they get a different icon for the scheduled job versus the one off, clone an ID when an item is created.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Users online (15,186)