cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
inteeraymee
Level: Power Up

Not waiting for approval

I am new to flow and am working on my first one...learning curve is steep, but well worth it.

I am working on a process where someone under me, let's say Employee, needs to submit a request for reimbursement.  This request is first sent to me, <strong>Supervisor, and if I approve it then goes to my boss, Boss.  For some reason, and I cannot figure this out, if Supervisor approves the request it is sent through the rest of the flow as responding as "Approve".  In other words, it doesn't wait for a response from Boss to see if it is approved at that point - it just blazes through that segment.

I feel like this is pretty simply, which is why I am so frustrated in trying to fix it.&nbsp; Any help is greatly appreciatedscreen shot 2.jpgscreen shot 1.jpgscreen shot 5.jpgscreen shot 6.jpgscreen shot 7.jpgscreen shot 8.jpgscreen shot 3.jpgscreen shot 4.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Not waiting for approval

@inteeraymee 

I haven't reviewed your entire Flow, but your issues start in your first screen shot in your condition. 

You should be checking to see if Outcome is Approve rather than Response.

Make that change throughout your Flow, and post here if you are still experiencing issues.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Super User
Super User

@inteeraymee 

Hi there, welcome!  Check out this article which (I think) covers exactly what you want to do.

Keep us posted.

-Ed-

If this reply has answered your question or resolved your challenge, please consider marking it as a Solution. This helps other users find it more easily via search.

Super User
Super User

@inteeraymee 

I haven't reviewed your entire Flow, but your issues start in your first screen shot in your condition. 

You should be checking to see if Outcome is Approve rather than Response.

Make that change throughout your Flow, and post here if you are still experiencing issues.

Scott

View solution in original post

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

I think what you need to do is initialize a Variable that can hold the state of the approval and then check that before you enter the section for sending the Approval to the Boss.  If the supervisor approved then send the new approval.  If not bypass the Boss and mark it as rejected. I think you are trying to use the Approval status for that and when the first approval returns that status will be Approve, because that person did approve it. You can't depend on that for tracking the overall status.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gristy
Level 10

Hey

Make sure you use the "start and wait for approval action" you will want your condition to be Outcome is equal to Approve afterwards.

You can use "Create an Approval" but you will need to use "Wait for an approval" to pause the workflow.

inteeraymee

Thanks for the quick response.  Being a newbie, I'm trying to locate where to select Outcome instead of Response.  I did find an expression named outputs that looks promising or similar...but the syntax requires outputs(actionName: string).  If that's the case, would I use the name of the approval 'box'/module?

Thanks for any help!

Highlighted
inteeraymee

Thanks for the quick response.  Being a newbie, I'm trying to locate where to select Outcome instead of Response.  I did find an expression named outputs that looks promising or similar...but the syntax requires outputs(actionName: string).  If that's the case, would I use the name of the approval 'box'/module?

Thanks for any help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 426 members 6,259 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: