Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Charles-v-D
Helper V
Helper V

Notification of failed Flow

Hi All,

I'm pretty much running my whole team on MS Flows, love it! But ones in a while a flow fails (for unknown reasons). I was wondering if there is a way to get quick notification when a flow fails? I do get the ones in a while Microsoft warning, but that is way to slow for me....

Any input is welcome!

Regards

Charles

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mmmm... I see your point. Did you try to organize all the stuff in diferent 'Scope' action blocks? Sometimes it's a good approach to handle exceptions, also to simplify flow visualization, but... as far as I remember, some blocks like "Initialize variable" cannot be added inside.

Hope this helps

Each time you click on any of our inspiring answers 'Thumb up' icon...
...an ewok scapes from the stormtroopers.

Be grateful, Thumbs up! Save the Galaxy for free!

Escribo sobre Power Automate en:
https://medium.com/anyone-can-automate/

Proud to be a Flownaut!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
efialttes
Super User III
Super User III

@Charles-v-D 

Glad to see you became a Flow evangelist among your team 😄

In this Flow official post you will find a technique to receive a notification whenever a flow execution fails.

Please note action block "Notification" can have some limitations (it is sent to the flow owner only? it's a long time I do not use it), if your requirements is to report to the user that triggered the flow, or to the whole team, you can use "Send an email" or even "Post to Teams" instead

Hope this helps

Proud to be a Flownaut!

@efialttes 

Thanks, this sure helps! Just to be sure... if I add such a notification (with correct settings) to the final step in my flow, then it will always trigger if my 100+ action flow fails anywhere?

Regards

charles

@Charles-v-D 

Good question! Since you add the notification block at the end of the flow, and manipulate the settings in order to be executed when previous action block is skipped or timeout or fails, I assume It will work as you expected. Please note if you select also the option 'previous block succeeds' you will also receive the notification even if flow execution succeeded.

As the official blog post says: 'Now, in this case the “send email” (penultimate action) action failed, but if any of the previous steps had failed, it will cause the penultimate action to be skipped and which in turn results in the last action (send notification) being executed.'

Hope this helps

Proud to be a Flownaut!

@efialttes 

The feature works as you describe.... thanks for pointing this feature out....but that is not good enough for me.. my flow has 100+ steps with multiple branches, nesting etc... this would mean that I would need to add a parallel branch for each (or many critical ones) to check if any of the actions fails....

I would like to see an "failure notification" feature that would trigger REGARDLESS which step(s) in a flow fails.... 

Regards

Charles

Mmmm... I see your point. Did you try to organize all the stuff in diferent 'Scope' action blocks? Sometimes it's a good approach to handle exceptions, also to simplify flow visualization, but... as far as I remember, some blocks like "Initialize variable" cannot be added inside.

Hope this helps

Proud to be a Flownaut!

View solution in original post

@efialttes 

"Scope" blocks are EXACTLY what I was looking for... not specifically for this problem, but for organizing my large flows in manageble sections. Combined with "run after" setting parallel to a scope I got 2 solutions for the price of one!!

THANKS

Regards

Charles

Helpful resources

Announcements
Process Advisor

Introducing Process Advisor

Check out the new Process Advisor community forum board!

MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Users online (12,900)