cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeffparker
Frequent Visitor

O365 to Google calendar sync template

There is a template called "Sync Office 365 Outlook Calendar with Google Calendar and Excel (Business)" at https://australia.flow.microsoft.com/en-us/galleries/public/templates/7cf04fa1ca524da88c16d4099be8fd..., which I am trying to make work.

The template library says it is "By Microsoft Flow Community" and is described as:

When an event is added, updated or deleted in Office 365 Outlook Calendar, update the Google Calendar and the Excel Online(Business) spreadsheet as per the action selected. The Excel Online(Business) spreadsheet must have the following columns: OutlookCalendarId, GoogleCalendarId.

The trouble is that there is no documentation about how to set up the Excel spreadsheet, and I've spent hours trying different things but am getting no where.

Does anyone know anything about this template?

22 REPLIES 22
Pstork1
Most Valuable Professional

Create a blank spreadsheet in OneDrive for Business with a blank table containing two columns.  The columns are 'Outlook CalendarId' and 'Google CalendarId'.  Then point the Flow at that Table in that spreadsheet.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
v-litu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jeffparker,

If you use the template Sync Office 365 Outlook Calendar with Google Calendar and Excel (Business), you might create a table in an empty Excel file with columns OutlookCalendarId, GoogleCalendarId, others columns according to your requirements. 

Do you want to find a way to get previous events in the Outlook calendar and corresponding Google calendar events for store them in the Excel file?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

StéphaneC

Hi,

Microsoft models do not work.
Use Geoff Hudik's here instead: https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Flow-Discussion/Office-365-Calendar-sync-to-Google-Calen...

Just import it, modify the Google and Office calendar ids and it works !

Stéphane

@v-litu-msft Yes! I want to find a way to get previous events in the Outlook calendar and corresponding Google calendar events for store them in the Excel file.

I can get this template working fine for new event but it fails on previously added events as they don't exist on the spreadsheet.

How can I sync the existing one?

Thanks!

Pstork1

To sync the existing ones you would need a different Trigger and action.  This one fires when a new event is created.  You need to find all the events within a specific range and save those IDs to the list. For that you probably need a manual trigger and the Get Events action.

@Pstork1  - once i add the outlook IDs to the list will the other flow add the events to google?

Pstork1

You could redesign the existing Flow to do that yes, but its not going to do it automatically.  YOu need to have something happen to make it do the actions in the NEW branch of the switch statement.  That's where the Google calendar entries are created.

Thanks, but is there a space or not in the names? Both alternatives appear in different places. I've tried both in the spreadsheet, but without success.

Hi @jeffparker,

Does every corresponding event have a unique name?

If yes, you can use get list events of Google events first, then store them into Google events of the Excel file with columns Google events ID and Outlook event ID. After that, get the list of Outlook events, then use the filter or apply to each action to find the corresponding event, get its Event ID and store it into the Excel file.

Maybe you have to create a column named Event name in the excel file.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Pstork1

Check the usage in the template.  When I looked it appeared that the majority of them had spaces.  I did end up changing one, I think it was in the Deleted branch.  The point is that it doesn't matter as long as the header in the table in Excel matches the name of the dynamic content used in the App.

Many thanks. I've managed to get the Flow template working now. It needed the Column Name in the Deleted path to be corrected (it was just "outlook") - perhaps the master version should be updated?

Now, as others have posted about, I need to find a way to get all the current O365 Calendar items to be copied into Google, but I'd like this done in such a way so that if I change or delete an existing O365 item, that the Flow will sync that also to Google.

I see that it is possible to "Save Calendar" in Outlook on my desktop and this can be imported to Google, but does anyone know if updates and deletes would be syncd doing this? I suspect not, but wanted to ask.

[edit: the import to Google keeps failing, so this looks like a non-starter. I found that in OWA you can save the "publish calendar" ICS file, and this does import into Google, but update/delete sync does not happen]

Or is there an existing Flow template that could be used, or easily modified to do this?

Pstork1

Not sure there is an existing template to sync them up and keep them synced.  Also the save functionality you are looking at will not keep them synced going forward.  Its just a snapshot in time.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This flow "Sync Office 365 Outlook Calendar with Google Calendar and Excel (Business) is very poorly documented. Nothing I try works. I created a blank spreadsheet containing the correct two columns.

But pointing the Flow at that Table in the spreadsheet is easier said than done.

The steps (in add, update, and delete event) include Excel manipulations that ask for File, Table, and Key Column (for deleting). I have no idea what to put in these. The File is clearly the Excel file name, but it also asks to add dynamic content from a drop-down list. The Table also asks me to choose from a drop-down list of items that seem to have nothing to do with my Excel file. Same for Key Column. What do I put here? Is there any step-by-step tutorial for this flow?

Pstork1

Its poorly documented because its old and has been removed from service, mostly because there have been changes to the underlying APIs that make it no longer effective.  Its no longer available in the Flow site and although someone has made a copy of the old template available as a .Zip its no longer supported.  So its not a surprise that it doesn't work and nothing you do fixes it. There is no template available that will do this anymore.  Nor do I know of anyone who has gotten it to work reliably.

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, wait, let me make something clear.

The flow does work for creating an event in my Google calendar when I create an event in my Outlook calendar.

What doesn't work has nothing to do with calendars, it's the manipulation of the Excel file. By the time the flow gets to that point, it already has data for the event IDs on both calendars. All it needs to do is record them in Excel, so that the two IDs can be correlated for updates and deletions later.

This part of the flow involves solely interaction between O365 products; Google isn't even involved at this point. THAT feature is something I expect to work. But how to make it work isn't documented as far as I can tell. I cannot find any tutorial on how to add a row in a two-column Excel file to record a key-value pair that's already available, how to update one column given a key value in another column, and how to delete a row for a key value in one column.

Those are pretty basic operations. Is there a tutorial for that?

It is trivial to create a flow that adds an event to a Google calendar when an event appears on the Outlook calendar. Updates and deletions, however, would require that the IDs for each calendar be maintained somewhere. Is there a better way to do this than in an Excel file?

Pstork1

Here's a tutorial on how to add a row to an Excel table.

https://sharepains.com/2018/09/13/microsoft-flow-excel-add-a-row-into-a-table-without-failure/

But the point is that the template was written on old APIs.  The APIs have changed for both Google and the Microsoft products involved.  So I wouldn't expect the template to work as it is.  You may be able to get it working, but it will take re-writing a good bit of it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! That did help, a lot.

I managed to re-create the flow under discussion from scratch, using the default features available now. It sort of works.

When an Office event is created, it adds it to my Google calendar and updates Office and Google event IDs in a spreadsheet. To do this, I had to add a "convert time zone" step so that Google Calendar wouldn't return an error and stop the flow.

Updating a calendar entry seems to work OK.

I haven't gotten the 'delete' feature to work yet, though. Still testing. Tests take an unpredictable amount of time to run.

I'm very keen to see how you go with this. Please keep us posted.

Anonymous
Not applicable

So I'm totally new at this. My company just switched over from Google to O365 this week.

I think I have this new flow I made from scratch working. It's similar to the one described in the beginning of this thread, although I added an error-handling path in the 'update' part, as well as time zone conversions for Google calendar compatibility.

Is there any way to share it without including my own personal connection settings, or do I need to make a bunch of screenshots? I don't know what the "Submit as Template" option does, exactly.

Also, when I go to My Flows and click on this new flow, I see a list of 10 runs at the bottom of the page in various states, most of them "running". I don't remember running that many tests. Is there a way to remove them? Should they all be running?

Helpful resources

Announcements

Exclusive LIVE Community Event: Power Apps Copilot Coffee Chat with Copilot Studio Product Team

It's time for the SECOND Power Apps Copilot Coffee Chat featuring the Copilot Studio product team, which will be held LIVE on April 3, 2024 at 9:30 AM Pacific Daylight Time (PDT).     This is an incredible opportunity to connect with members of the Copilot Studio product team and ask them anything about Copilot Studio. We'll share our special guests with you shortly--but we want to encourage to mark your calendars now because you will not want to miss the conversation.   This live event will give you the unique opportunity to learn more about Copilot Studio plans, where we’ll focus, and get insight into upcoming features. We’re looking forward to hearing from the community, so bring your questions!   TO GET ACCESS TO THIS EXCLUSIVE AMA: Kudo this post to reserve your spot! Reserve your spot now by kudoing this post.  Reservations will be prioritized on when your kudo for the post comes through, so don't wait! Click that "kudo button" today.   Invitations will be sent on April 2nd.Users posting Kudos after April 2nd at 9AM PDT may not receive an invitation but will be able to view the session online after conclusion of the event. Give your "kudo" today and mark your calendars for April 3, 2024 at 9:30 AM PDT and join us for an engaging and informative session!

Tuesday Tip: Unlocking Community Achievements and Earning Badges

TUESDAY TIPS are our way of communicating helpful things we've learned or shared that have helped members of the Community. Whether you're just getting started or you're a seasoned pro, Tuesday Tips will help you know where to go, what to look for, and navigate your way through the ever-growing--and ever-changing--world of the Power Platform Community! We cover basics about the Community, provide a few "insider tips" to make your experience even better, and share best practices gleaned from our most active community members and Super Users.   With so many new Community members joining us each week, we'll also review a few of our "best practices" so you know just "how" the Community works, so make sure to watch the News & Announcements each week for the latest and greatest Tuesday Tips!     THIS WEEK'S TIP: Unlocking Achievements and Earning BadgesAcross the Communities, you'll see badges on users profile that recognize and reward their engagement and contributions. These badges each signify a different achievement--and all of those achievements are available to any Community member! If you're a seasoned pro or just getting started, you too can earn badges for the great work you do. Check out some details on Community badges below--and find out more in the detailed link at the end of the article!       A Diverse Range of Badges to Collect The badges you can earn in the Community cover a wide array of activities, including: Kudos Received: Acknowledges the number of times a user’s post has been appreciated with a “Kudo.”Kudos Given: Highlights the user’s generosity in recognizing others’ contributions.Topics Created: Tracks the number of discussions initiated by a user.Solutions Provided: Celebrates the instances where a user’s response is marked as the correct solution.Reply: Counts the number of times a user has engaged with community discussions.Blog Contributor: Honors those who contribute valuable content and are invited to write for the community blog.       A Community Evolving Together Badges are not only a great way to recognize outstanding contributions of our amazing Community members--they are also a way to continue fostering a collaborative and supportive environment. As you continue to share your knowledge and assist each other these badges serve as a visual representation of your valuable contributions.   Find out more about badges in these Community Support pages in each Community: All About Community Badges - Power Apps CommunityAll About Community Badges - Power Automate CommunityAll About Community Badges - Copilot Studio CommunityAll About Community Badges - Power Pages Community

Tuesday Tips: Powering Up Your Community Profile

TUESDAY TIPS are our way of communicating helpful things we've learned or shared that have helped members of the Community. Whether you're just getting started or you're a seasoned pro, Tuesday Tips will help you know where to go, what to look for, and navigate your way through the ever-growing--and ever-changing--world of the Power Platform Community! We cover basics about the Community, provide a few "insider tips" to make your experience even better, and share best practices gleaned from our most active community members and Super Users.   With so many new Community members joining us each week, we'll also review a few of our "best practices" so you know just "how" the Community works, so make sure to watch the News & Announcements each week for the latest and greatest Tuesday Tips!   This Week's Tip: Power Up Your Profile!  🚀 It's where every Community member gets their start, and it's essential that you keep it updated! Your Community User Profile is how you're able to get messages, post solutions, ask questions--and as you rank up, it's where your badges will appear and how you'll be known when you start blogging in the Community Blog. Your Community User Profile is how the Community knows you--so it's essential that it works the way you need it to! From changing your username to updating contact information, this Knowledge Base Article is your best resource for powering up your profile.     Password Puzzles? No Problem! Find out how to sync your Azure AD password with your community account, ensuring a seamless sign-in. No separate passwords to remember! Job Jumps & Email Swaps Changed jobs? Got a new email? Fear not! You'll find out how to link your shiny new email to your existing community account, keeping your contributions and connections intact. Username Uncertainties Unraveled Picking the perfect username is crucial--and sometimes the original choice you signed up with doesn't fit as well as you may have thought. There's a quick way to request an update here--but remember, your username is your community identity, so choose wisely. "Need Admin Approval" Warning Window? If you see this error message while using the community, don't worry. A simple process will help you get where you need to go. If you still need assistance, find out how to contact your Community Support team. Whatever you're looking for, when it comes to your profile, the Community Account Support Knowledge Base article is your treasure trove of tips as you navigate the nuances of your Community Profile. It’s the ultimate resource for keeping your digital identity in tip-top shape while engaging with the Power Platform Community. So, dive in and power up your profile today!  💪🚀   Community Account Support | Power Apps Community Account Support | Power AutomateCommunity Account Support | Copilot Studio  Community Account Support | Power Pages

Super User of the Month | Chris Piasecki

In our 2nd installment of this new ongoing feature in the Community, we're thrilled to announce that Chris Piasecki is our Super User of the Month for March 2024. If you've been in the Community for a while, we're sure you've seen a comment or marked one of Chris' helpful tips as a solution--he's been a Super User for SEVEN consecutive seasons!   Since authoring his first reply in April 2020 to his most recent achievement organizing the Canadian Power Platform Summit this month, Chris has helped countless Community members with his insights and expertise. In addition to being a Super User, Chris is also a User Group leader, Microsoft MVP, and a featured speaker at the Microsoft Power Platform Conference. His contributions to the new SUIT program, along with his joyous personality and willingness to jump in and help so many members has made Chris a fixture in the Power Platform Community.   When Chris isn't authoring solutions or organizing events, he's actively leading Piasecki Consulting, specializing in solution architecture, integration, DevOps, and more--helping clients discover how to strategize and implement Microsoft's technology platforms. We are grateful for Chris' insightful help in the Community and look forward to even more amazing milestones as he continues to assist so many with his great tips, solutions--always with a smile and a great sense of humor.You can find Chris in the Community and on LinkedIn. Thanks for being such a SUPER user, Chris! 💪 🌠  

Tuesday Tips: Community Ranks and YOU

TUESDAY TIPS are our way of communicating helpful things we've learned or shared that have helped members of the Community. Whether you're just getting started or you're a seasoned pro, Tuesday Tips will help you know where to go, what to look for, and navigate your way through the ever-growing--and ever-changing--world of the Power Platform Community! We cover basics about the Community, provide a few "insider tips" to make your experience even better, and share best practices gleaned from our most active community members and Super Users.   With so many new Community members joining us each week, we'll also review a few of our "best practices" so you know just "how" the Community works, so make sure to watch the News & Announcements each week for the latest and greatest Tuesday Tips!This Week: Community Ranks--Moving from "Member" to "Community Champion"   Have you ever wondered how your fellow community members ascend the ranks within our community? What sets apart an Advocate from a Helper, or a Solution Sage from a Community Champion? In today’s #TuesdayTip, we’re unveiling the secrets and sharing tips to help YOU elevate your ranking—and why it matters to our vibrant communities. Community ranks serve as a window into a member’s role and activity. They celebrate your accomplishments and reveal whether someone has been actively contributing and assisting others. For instance, a Super User is someone who has been exceptionally helpful and engaged. Some ranks even come with special permissions, especially those related to community management. As you actively participate—whether by creating new topics, providing solutions, or earning kudos—your rank can climb. Each time you achieve a new rank, you’ll receive an email notification. Look out for the icon and rank name displayed next to your username—it’s a badge of honor! Fun fact: Your Community Engagement Team keeps an eye on these ranks, recognizing the most passionate and active community members. So shine brightly with valuable content, and you might just earn well-deserved recognition! Where can you see someone’s rank? When viewing a post, you’ll find a member’s rank to the left of their name.Click on a username to explore their profile, where their rank is prominently displayed. What about the ranks themselves? New members start as New Members, progressing to Regular Visitors, and then Frequent Visitors.Beyond that, we have a categorized system: Kudo Ranks: Earned through kudos (teal icons).Post Ranks: Based on your posts (purple icons).Solution Ranks: Reflecting your solutions (green icons).Combo Ranks: These orange icons combine kudos, solutions, and posts. The top ranks have unique names, making your journey even more exciting! So dive in, collect those kudos, share solutions, and let’s see how high you can rank!  🌟 🚀   Check out the Using the Community boards in each of the communities for more helpful information!  Power Apps, Power Automate, Copilot Studio & Power Pages

Find Out What Makes Super Users So Super

We know many of you visit the Power Platform Communities to ask questions and receive answers. But do you know that many of our best answers and solutions come from Community members who are super active, helping anyone who needs a little help getting unstuck with Business Applications products? We call these dedicated Community members Super Users because they are the real heroes in the Community, willing to jump in whenever they can to help! Maybe you've encountered them yourself and they've solved some of your biggest questions. Have you ever wondered, "Why?"We interviewed several of our Super Users to understand what drives them to help in the Community--and discover the difference it has made in their lives as well! Take a look in our gallery today: What Motivates a Super User? - Power Platform Community (microsoft.com)

Users online (6,151)