cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EddyGee
Helper I
Helper I

One Flow, Multiple Sites?

Is it possible to have 1 Flow check X different sites as the trigger?

Eg.

When an Item Is Created (Site A, Site B, Site C)

List Name (List A, List B, List C [all the same name, but probably different base IDs..])

Continue forth with whichever was the start point (Site B, List B) throughout the rest of the flow

I ask as having 10+ seperate flows for 10+ seperate sites can be quite tedious to manage, being more efficient to have 1 master dynamic flow.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Pstork1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Triggers are site specific, so no you can't have a single flow that will respond to multiple sites.  You can design a Flow, use SaveAs, change the address of the trigger and have the same flow that works on two different sites.  But you can't have one flow with a trigger that fires on multiple sites.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Pstork1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Triggers are site specific, so no you can't have a single flow that will respond to multiple sites.  You can design a Flow, use SaveAs, change the address of the trigger and have the same flow that works on two different sites.  But you can't have one flow with a trigger that fires on multiple sites.

@Pstork1yeah, I already do this. I was enquiring to the impossible because it'd be useful / efficient. No point writing the same code x times when 1 can react accordingly if possible.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree. It would be useful to be able to apply the same Flow to multiple sites, so the inevitable updates to the Flow only need to be made once.

Elia
Advocate I
Advocate I

It will be great if Microsoft created a Flow to call other flows, or the possibility to use one Flow across multiple Libraries / Sites.

With dynamic update of Site / Library fields.

The idea has been already proposed, and needs sufficient number of Votes for it to be considered..

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Automate-Ideas/Deploying-a-Singular-Flow-across-Multiple-S...

I agree it would make this soo much more convenient and powerful if we could deploy flows to multiple sites. Instead of giving a URL and Document Library/List why not define a Content Type or Property that if present then the flow becomes available or ultimately having the possibility to point out X amount of sites.

Wildtypitch
Helper I
Helper I

Yes really interested we have project based sites all exactly the same. Ten's of projects. 

Can the flow trigger can reference the library it's being called from with some scripting? 

"operationId""ForASelectedFileHybridTrigger",
        "parameters": {
            "dataset""https://contoso.sharepoint.com/sites/Test2",
            "table""b15279be-ba22-4178-b14f-3baewrt3wda47"
Pstork1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

There is already the ability to call a flow from another flow.  There is an action called 'Call a Child Flow'. To use it both flows need to be in a solution and the child flow needs to have a manual trigger.  

I doubt you will see the ability to deploy a flow across multiple sites.  The connectors are all written at this point to require a static reference to a site.  To deploy across multiple sites would require a complete re-write of all the connectors.  That isn't going to happen.

Wildtypitch
Helper I
Helper I

I think the key here is create solutions which contain your flows. Like how the out of the box approvals are done. I've been using power automate for only two days so I might be wrong but no-one else seems to have an answer.

See more here https://www.sharepointeurope.com/working-with-solutions-in-power-automate-powerapps/

Jamsie
Frequent Visitor

This was the approach I took - I have say 10 project sites each of which require the same flows.

So, I created a solution and then exported/imported it so that I had 10 solutions - one for each site.

However, any changes to a flow or env variable in one solution replicated across all of them so I ended up with 10 perfect clones.  

Solutions seem like a good idea but the implementation is awful.

acoyle
Frequent Visitor

Another option is to use a rest call to the search api to get the items you need to update.  Because you are hitting the search index, it works across list/site boundaries, however the trigger is not "on modified" it would be a scheduled flow.  This flow would be scheduled to run 1 time per hour, look for all qualified candidates and then update them in some manner so that they are no longer qualified candidates.  It is slow, and can only address the maximum rows returned from the search query, but over the course of time it will address all records...    example: If you want to look for certain content types, and update them to a different content type:

use the Https to SharePoint action with a URI such as

_api/search/query?querytext='*'&querytemplate='{searchTerms} ("ContentTypeId:0x0101003C342E8B05BFF6458C47A1FE224FD53E* OR ContentTypeId:0x010100B3987BF3DF940142B1904DC3F88B13AA03*",)'&selectproperties='ListItemID,Path,ParentLink,SPWebUrl,SiteId,WebId,ListId'&rowlimit=500

This will return up to 500 rows of items that have one or the other of the hardcoded content type IDs.  Then you would need some additional logic to change all of the returned rows content types.  An hour should be long enough for the updated records to appear in the index, so the next run of the flow would not contain the records just changed.

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Microsoft Build 768x460.png

Microsoft Build is May 24-26. Have you registered yet?

Come together to explore latest innovations in code and application development—and gain insights from experts from around the world.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

What difference can a User Group make for you?

At the monthly call, connect with other leaders and find out how community makes your experience even better.

PA Survey Carousel Image.png

We want to hear from you!

If you are a small business ISV/Reseller, share your thoughts with our research team.

Users online (1,351)