cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OneDrive for Business Copy File Followed by Get File Content

We have a Flow with a One Drive for Business Copy File action, followed by a Get File Content action. We can see all the data we expect in our original file. The copy is sometimes, but not always, missing data. Get File Content is used to get the file copy and email it - and the emailed file is almost always missing data. 

We thought it was because of the actions running async - but we turned Asynchronous Pattern off. The issue continues. We also tried putting a delay in between steps, but the issue persists. Any suggestions? 

3 REPLIES 3
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: OneDrive for Business Copy File Followed by Get File Content

Hi @hilary_stoupa ,

Could you please share a screenshot of the configuration of your flow?

I have made a test on my side and don't have the issue that you mentioned?

How many time in the delay before the "Get file Content" action? 

Could you please take a try to delay more than 5 minutes and check the file in the email again to see if the issue still exists.

Best regards,

Alice       

Community Support Team _ Alice Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks - I'll post a screenshot later today (this is client work, so I don't have direct access to the Flow). Basically, we are getting items from a SharePoint list, looping through them to add them to an Excel file on OneDrive, creating a copy of the file, and then using get file content to get the file and email it.

What we are seeing is that the original file that we are writing rows to has all 7 rows. The copy has some of the rows (which makes me think the copy is created prior to all the rows being written) and the emailed file has sometimes as many as the copy, and sometime fewer yet. It is all very odd. 

When we originally watched the Flow run, we could see the Apply to Each (that writes rows to the Excel file) complete (green check in the right corner) and then all the remaining actions appeared to complete at the exact same time, as if they were running at once. So that's why we tried turning async off..... just as a random guess. 

Highlighted

So - I think OneDrive and even copying the file is a red herring here. We tried writing rows to the Excel file (both on OneDrive and on SharePoint) and then, directly after the apply to each that writes the rows, emailing the file we were writing to and still had incomplete data. I think the issue may be with the Excel connector - that the rows haven't all been written when the file is returned using get file content and emailed. 

I'm attaching a screenshot of the test Flow. The first apply to each just deletes existing rows in the spreadsheet. The second writes the rows. Then we get the file from OneDrive and email it - and it is missing rows.Scrn.png

However - your suggestion of a delay of 5 minutes solved the issue in testing. That leads me to wonder - do we always need a delay prior to taking further actions on a file that we have been working with earlier in the Flow? Like - if we'd had a create file action, would we be able to immediately get the file content and email it? Or should we plan a delay?

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

Look out for new contribution recognition badges coming SOON!

firstImage

Power Platform Online Conference

Join us for the first ever Power Platform Online Conference!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Users online (4,594)